Algae Issue... 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by AlexAlex, Dec 27, 2012.

1. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Good evening, folks -

I have a singular male Elephant Ear Betta in a 5 Gallon tank. The tank has been cycled for a few weeks now. I don't know exactly why, but every time I clean up the algae, it comes back and with more the next day or two.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to get rid of it? I am very picky about Algae, especially when it's on the front of the aquarium.

Thanks in advance.

Alex :)

2. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Is it Diatoms?

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

What's your lighting like? Maybe you need to reduce it back a few hours a day?
    Do you dose ferts?

4. OP
    OP
    A

No live plants, just one Betta, Gray Sand, black background, White Fluorescent light, and I'm not sure about diatoms. I don't know anything about ferts either.

5. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Could you take a picture of the algae in question?

Also if it is algae think about getting some marimo moss balls they out compete algae for nutrients so you won't have a big issue with he,... also if i read right newer tank always hve issues with diatoms...

6. OP
    OP
    A

Great. I didn't want to hear about the Diatoms. Ugh. lol

And I will look into the marimo moss ball scenario. Thanks for that information. :)

I'll take pictures in the morning as I'm heading to bed in about 15 minutes or so.

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

diatoms are easy to deal with and will most times go away on their own in the end of things.

but some plants will def help ballance things out, something simple like wisteria or a floating plant would also work.

8. OP
    OP
    A

I just don't want any plants that are going to get "dismantled" in the tank. I had one before that did, and it was a horse of a mess cleaning it up out of the tank.

I'll take a look into those plants. Thanks.

9. pirahnah3

The any of the regular plants would be fine then. I like the wisteria as it doesnt need much help at all to grow lol.

10. OP
    OP
    A

I looked into it. I can get some at Petsmart. I'm heading there Saturday, so I'll pick some up then.

Again, thank you. :)

11. pirahnah3

No problem glad we could help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice