Algae in Refugim - or is something else?

mangups

For the last 3~4 weeks I am seeing a really dark (almost black) algae growing on the sand of the refugim. It is like a layer is also growing on the the chaeto. it is slimy to touch. (see pictures)

What kind of algae is this? is it harmful - right now I am scooping it out almost every week. I don't see it on the sand of my tank at all.

algae.jpg
algae1.jpg

OTHERS:
specific gravity: 1.026
NO3: 5 PPM
pH: 81. ~8.2
Phosphates: 0.01~0.02 ppm.
Temp: 80~82F

Tank is a year old -
Other aquaria - 1 Oscellaris clown, 1 Atlantic condy anemone, 1 neon dotty back, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 royal gramma basslet, 1 coral beauty dwarf angel

Corals: 2 Zoas, 1 Kryptonite Candy Cane , 1 Teal blue Candy Cane and 1 Caulastrea

CUC:
1) 5~6 Red leg and 1~2 electric blue hermit crab
2) 2 Trubo Snail
3) 6 Super Tongan nassarius snail
4) 10~12 of Astraea turbo snail...

EQUIPMENT: Tank: 20 Gal Long + 10 Gallon SUMP, 15 LBS live rock, Aquafuge Hangon back Refigum (has sand , live rock rubble and chaeto and 24 hrs light), 2 power heads (700 GPH & 1200 Gph)on a Hydor smart wave controller, Odyessa 4 X 24 W (T5HO 10,000K, Actinic, Moonlight, 2x 10000K and 2x Actinic Blue ) light
SUMP: (with Chemipure Elite and carbon)+ 25 lbs live rock + Hydor Nano SlI'm skimmer, 9W green killing UV Sterilizer, 1 Nova tech Ice probe chiller & CSXC-1 Aquarium Chiller + Tunze nano osmolator

Monsieurp237

HI there!

Could be cyanobacteria, also know as blue green algae...

... Read they are quite common in Saltwater tanks!

From what I understand, culprits could be sunlight, phosphate, and lack of water momement... Or a combination!

Could it be?

Good luck,
M

Mike

I used to get that from time to time in my refugium when I was running chaeto. Looks like cyano to me too.

mangups

HI there!

Could be cyanobacteria, also know as blue green algae...

... Read they are quite common in Saltwater tanks!

From what I understand, culprits could be sunlight, phosphate, and lack of water momement... Or a combination!

Could it be?

Good luck,
M

I am using a CPR refugI'm and the std pump that comes with it.. The refugI'm does not get any sunlight (one side against the wall and the other side is black) .

Water parameters is as posted above... NO3 and PO4 all under or at par.

how do I prevent further growth or eliminate it?

Monsieurp237

I am using a CPR refugI'm and the std pump that comes with it.. The refugI'm does not get any sunlight (one side against the wall and the other side is black) .

Water parameters is as posted above... NO3 and PO4 all under or at par.

how do I prevent further growth or eliminate it?

Water movement?

Some try a total black out, but that could hurt the rest of your fauna and flora...

I try to keep phosphates in check in my FW... but it's a Freshwater so I would not want to give you wrong advice for a SW!

You might want to read ...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aquachris
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
SirTandy
Replies