Algae in Refugim - or is something else?

For the last 3~4 weeks I am seeing a really dark (almost black) algae growing on the sand of the refugim. It is like a layer is also growing on the the chaeto. it is slimy to touch. (see pictures)

What kind of algae is this? is it harmful - right now I am scooping it out almost every week. I don't see it on the sand of my tank at all.

algae.jpgalgae1.jpg

OTHERS:
specific gravity: 1.026
NO3: 5 PPM
pH: 81. ~8.2
Phosphates: 0.01~0.02 ppm.
Temp: 80~82F

Tank is a year old -
Other aquaria - 1 Oscellaris clown, 1 Atlantic condy anemone, 1 neon dotty back, 1 yellow wrasse, 1 royal gramma basslet, 1 coral beauty dwarf angel

Corals: 2 Zoas, 1 Kryptonite Candy Cane , 1 Teal blue Candy Cane and 1 Caulastrea

CUC:
1) 5~6 Red leg and 1~2 electric blue hermit crab
2) 2 Trubo Snail
3) 6 Super Tongan nassarius snail
4) 10~12 of Astraea turbo snail...

EQUIPMENT: Tank: 20 Gal Long + 10 Gallon SUMP, 15 LBS live rock, Aquafuge Hangon back Refigum (has sand , live rock rubble and chaeto and 24 hrs light), 2 power heads (700 GPH & 1200 Gph)on a Hydor smart wave controller, Odyessa 4 X 24 W (T5HO 10,000K, Actinic, Moonlight, 2x 10000K and 2x Actinic Blue ) light
SUMP: (with Chemipure Elite and carbon)+ 25 lbs live rock + Hydor Nano SlI'm skimmer, 9W green killing UV Sterilizer, 1 Nova tech Ice probe chiller & CSXC-1 Aquarium Chiller + Tunze nano osmolator

HI there!

Could be cyanobacteria, also know as blue green algae...

... Read they are quite common in Saltwater tanks!

From what I understand, culprits could be sunlight, phosphate, and lack of water momement... Or a combination!

Could it be?

Good luck,
M

I am using a CPR refugI'm and the std pump that comes with it.. The refugI'm does not get any sunlight (one side against the wall and the other side is black) .

Water parameters is as posted above... NO3 and PO4 all under or at par.

how do I prevent further growth or eliminate it?

I am using a CPR refugI'm and the std pump that comes with it.. The refugI'm does not get any sunlight (one side against the wall and the other side is black) .

Water parameters is as posted above... NO3 and PO4 all under or at par.

how do I prevent further growth or eliminate it?

Water movement?

Some try a total black out, but that could hurt the rest of your fauna and flora...

I try to keep phosphates in check in my FW... but it's a Freshwater so I would not want to give you wrong advice for a SW!

You might want to read ...

Top Bottom