Algae in new tank !

fishermanspie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Everyone I have been doing a fish-less cycle with pure ammonia and after two weeks I think it has finished as my readings are zero for both ammonia and nitrite and 10 for nitrates (on a tetra test stick !)
The tank has been cloudy since I started adding the ammonia and in the last week the whole tank has been taken over by algae even made the water go a shade of green . The algae is wrapping it self around the plants and not to much of a problem on the glass .
Yesterday I did a 50 % water change and removed as much as I could see of the algae today it is back . The algae is brown / green and can get long .
I also spotted to tiny strands of red algae !!
My plants went in on day one base layer of tetra substrate followed by eco complete followed by black aquatic sand .
Plants tall and dwarf hair -grass , 3 marismo balls , echinodorus tenellus. Dragon rock scrubbed and soaked for two weeks , bog and drift wood.
No fish yet !!!!
What can I do to get rid of the algae it really is taking over ?
I have reduced the lights from 10 hours to eight with a two hour break in the afternoon . Getting very impatient now please help ??
The tank is brand new rio 180 with biofilter

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi fishermanspie, welcome to fishlore!

Are you supplementing CO2 in any way? The most common cause of algae in planted tanks is a CO2 deficiency. The brownish algae sounds like diatoms, which are very common in newer tanks and should go away on its own after a few weeks as long as it doesn't get too out of hand.

Sounds like your tank will look incredible once you really get it going!
Good luck
-Bass master

fishermanspie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for your reply bass master . I have no co 2 as yet I was hoping I could get away without using it just yet . The tall hair grass that I planted three weeks ago has more than doubled in size . The ecinodorus is sending runners but the algae seems to enjoy wrapping round it . I was going to plant some more this week to try and combat the algae. Will post a picture if it ever clears !!

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
With as much lighting as you have you will more than likely need CO2. Whenever there's an imbalance between lighting and CO2, algae will capitalize on the excess to outcompete your plants. DIY CO2 is a very cheap method of supplementing carbon with the right regiment. Flourish excel is another alternative that has other beneficial effects on algae on top of balancing your carbon and light.

-Bass master

RTBS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the site sounds nice. Goodluck getting algae under control. Poet some pics soon...

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Too much light without CO2 and nutrients= algae.
2x45 T5 is a LOT of light for a 20g. If you want high light then invest in a CO2 system, Excel, or a UV light.

dannyboy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It isn't so much the volume of the tank but the height that determines light. How tall is your tank?

dannyboy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, with the two T5's you're in high light. It would be a good idea to cut back on the photoperiod or get some CO2 going. Good luck with the algae!

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore.

Another option would be to run a single tube, especially with no CO2. I also recommend cutting the lighting back to 6 hours total per day. IME breaking the photo-period does little to nothing to slow down algae.

fishermanspie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks everyone . I have now totally blocked the light in the tank and was going to leave it covered for three days . I have also ordered something called phorax made by juwell it will reduce and phosphates in the water . Also ordered something called algone ! but not sure that I need this now my nitrite and nitrates are under control . I will cut down on the lighting and possibly change one of the bulbs so it enhances reds and blue in the fish (not for plants )

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
In my experience phosphate removal products have a small effect on controlling phosphates and often lead to more issues. The fewer chemicals used the better. Plus phosphates are not the cause of algae. If it were I'd have algae filled tanks! I usually get 2ppm from the tap.

Check the foods offered to your fish. Even if it indicates 0.5% PO4 it will raise this buffer over time. Take a tint bit of flakes and add to a test tube with distilled water. After a day, run a phosphate test. It can be fairly eye opening!

fishermanspie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks but as yet I don `t have any fish and won `t get any until my water is crystal clear , My nitrogen cycle finished two days ago ?
Funny thing is I was worried that my tank would no produce enough algae to feed the otos I intend getting , what with the marismo balls substrate that does not encourage algae and water conditioners that do not encourage algae . How wrong I was .Can anyone tell me how to put pictures on ??

fishermanspie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First three weeks !

Hi here is my tank over a three week period the green picture being the most recent !

Week 1.jpg

2nd week.jpg

DSC0000148#1.jpg

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Your tank is filled with a free floating form of algae. It can be a difficult algae to stop as it grows and multiplies so quickly that water changes don't work. Another thing to keep in mind is that algae feeds off of unprocessed waste, no surprise in a cycling tank. So, while your parameters are leading you to believe your tank has cycled, be prepared if it is the algae.

Read about this form of algae in this thread: . It will give you some options on how to get rid of it.

BTW this form of algae does not affect fish. It just looks ugly. There are no fish that will eat it either.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom