Algae In Filter?

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I peered into my HOB to see how it was doing and how brown it was turning and I noticed it turned green. I just put this HOB on a few weeks ago it’s a Marie penguin 200 with 2 cartridges and a bio wheel . I am in the process of recycling my tank with safestart restarted on this past Friday. Does the filter look like it has algae on it? The second filter is looking good when I peer down at it(no I didn’t move them I just am looking down at the top of it) and my water is clear. So what does it look like to you? And I have a interanal sponge filter on its way to help with the tank
IMG_1090.JPG
IMG_1090.JPG

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you can convince it to stay right where it is, perfect. Algae reduces Nitrates and Phosphates, consumes CO2, produces Oxygen, and is fish food. You essentially have a mini-HOB-Refugium. Problem is, it's hard to keep it from expanding into your tank. Limit light, and consider a plant or two to deprive it of nutrients and prevent growth.

remy113

Valued Member
Reaction score
Mick Frost said:
If you can convince it to stay right where it is, perfect. Algae reduces Nitrates and Phosphates, consumes CO2, produces Oxygen, and is fish food. You essentially have a mini-HOB-Refugium. Problem is, it's hard to keep it from expanding into your tank. Limit light, and consider a plant or two to deprive it of nutrients and prevent growth.
It seems to be pretty thick in that filter but it’s not on the other by the looks of it. So I’m not to worried about it I just wanted to make sure that’s what it was

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom