Algae In Betta Tank?

Starstrucksky

Reaction score
(This is my first time posting on any type of forum, so I apologize if it’s not perfect!)

I have a male betta fish, which I’ve had for around 10 months now. In the first few months of having him, everything was doing fine. But recently, (I’d say, the past 2/3 months?) we have noticed that there has been an abundance of algae growing inside his tank.

I’d say we’ve tried just about everything - no direct sunlight, doing a full clean of the tank, getting an algae eating snail, etc - but it always seems to come back twice as strong!

If anyone has any tips as for how to get rid of this algae, I would greatly appreciate it!

(A problem might be that we haven’t recently kept the filter running 24/7. My betta ends up being blown away from the current, so I have been trying out different ways to lessen the flow. Any extra tips on that would be great!)

qchris87

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore!

What type of filter is it?
How long do you leave your lights on?

gessummers

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would try getting a filter where you can adjust the flow- I had that problem with my betta, and having a filter that can be on all the time could definitely help stabilize the conditions of the tank. I've had good luck with the fluval C2 with a 10 gallon and wasn't too strong. If you're not in a place where buying a new filter is an option, I used a method like this to lessen flow:

Have you tried any algae treatments? Lighting could be a big impact too.

Starstrucksky

Reaction score
I just have the TopFin 5.5 tank kit, which comes with its own filter. As for the lights, we rarely have them on (probably for an hour or so a day?)

I’ll take a look at options to lessen the flow, as I’m unable to purchase a new filter soon. Thank you!

qchris87 said:
Welcome to Fishlore!

What type of filter is it?
How long do you leave your lights on?
I’m unsure if the filter has a name, but it is from the TopFin 5.5 tank kit. It came with its own filter, which is what we use.

As for the lights, we rarely have them on now. I’d say we have them on for around an hour a day?

Starstrucksky

Reaction score
chadcf said:
My betta tank has the same issue. I tried flourish excel and it stunts the algae for a bit but it comes back.

At the moment I'm just maintaining with a weekly heavy water change, glass scrubbing and manual removal. Which kinda sucks...
I’ll look into what Flourish excel is, and if I’ll be able to get some for my tank. Unfortunately, we’re unable to really keep up with weekly heavy water changes, as it takes time that we don’t always have. (Hence why we usually do it monthly/every three weeks). I’ve also found that full water changes stress my betta a lot :/

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom