Algae in all three of my tanks

Kitley

I have been battling algae of different colours, in my three tanks. I have been removing decor and soaking in hot water. The decorations then just sit in my laundry room, for several weeks. This room is almost totally void of light. When I go to return them to my tank, almost all of the algae is gone. The odd time, I still need to brush it off the leaves etc. So, has anyone ever tried blacking out the aquarium to kill the algae on the gravel and sand? Any idea how much stress this would cause my fish? I do try to keep the blinds closed when it is btight outside, but I still get algae.

A201

I don't believe it's possible to totally rid a tank of algae. In most cases algae indicates a healthy tank.
Keeping the tank lighting regularly subdued will reduce algae growth.
IMO, it's best to mindfully manage algae rather than stress over it's total elimination.

Huckleberry77

You could consider dosing with Excel if you have live plants. Excel is an algaecide.

ProudPapa

You could consider dosing with Excel if you have live plants. Excel is an algaecide.

For me Exel works well on black beard algae, and does absolutely nothing to hair algae.

Frank the Fish guy

Black outs work and many folks do this. No harm to the fish. This is a great way to reduce an algae growth that is out of balance.

If you would like move into having aquariums without algae growth, one way is to have thriving and growing plants, and also nerite snails.

I have fresh water tanks that get direct sun, have bright lights, lots of fast growing plants, lots of nerite snails, and no algae to be seen.

Elimination of algae comes from balancing the ecosystem between the light, plants, fish and algae eaters (nerites are the best). No more scrubbing algae off stuff.

Try reducing the light (timing or strength) if algae grows too fast.

MasterPython

What is your setup like as far as the position of the window and tanks? Could you paint any sides black to or cover them with a background to block direct sunlight?

Kitley

I don't believe it's possible to totally rid a tank of algae. In most cases algae indicates a healthy tank.
Keeping the tank lighting regularly subdued will reduce algae growth.
IMO, it's best to mindfully manage algae rather than stress over it's total elimination.
Actually, I am just trying to manage the algae. I have no doubt that there will always be some there. I can not easily clean the gravel, and for sure, I cant clean the tank with sand.
I do not have live plants, as I have never had good luck with them. Maybe I will give Excel a try....do I need to remove the charcoal filter first?
For me Exel works well on black beard algae, and does absolutely nothing to hair algae.
mine seems to be dark brown, and some red appearing on my rocks.
Black outs work and many folks do this. No harm to the fish. This is a great way to reduce an algae growth that is out of balance.

If you would like move into having aquariums without algae growth, one way is to have thriving and growing plants, and also nerite snails.

I have fresh water tanks that get direct sun, have bright lights, lots of fast growing plants, lots of nerite snails, and no algae to be seen.

Elimination of algae comes from balancing the ecosystem between the light, plants, fish and algae eaters (nerites are the best). No more scrubbing algae off stuff.

Try reducing the light (timing or strength) if algae grows too fast.
That is good to know...I may black out at least the tank with black sand...it is the worst. I have never had any luck with plants, my fish seem to destroy them. I have not seen nerites for sale around here, but will check again, Thanks
What is your setup like as far as the position of the window and tanks? Could you paint any sides black to or cover them with a background to block direct sunlight?
The tank that is the worst is directly across the room from two fairly big windows, so blocking the sides would not help. The other tank is blue gravel, and on an end wall. I will block the one end on that tank, and see if it helps. Thanks.

Frank the Fish guy

I got my Nerites on ebay, shipped from Florida no problems. Snails do very well in the mail.

FishDin

Algae issues are one of the most common questions on here.

What has worked for me is decreased feeding (I feed lightly once a day), decrease light intensity and duration, 50% water change weekly, lots of plants, spot dose with an Excel type product if needed, snails (nerite, bladder, ramshorn) and finally patience and resisting the urge to try something drastic.

At one point the nitrates in my 29 were topping 40ppm. Now that I have a lot of established emergent plants as well as some submerged plants I need to fertilze 3 x a week because the plants take upmore nutrients than the tank is producing.

If there is a lot of ambient light, don't turn on your tank lights until night. Unless you have a lot of high light plants, the aquarium ilight is mostly there for your viewing pleasure. The fish don't need it.

I've never blacked out a tank. I never believed it would work as a long term soulution unless you eliminate the cause of the algae overgrowth. It could be used to knock the algae back as part of an overall approach, but by itself, I'm doubtful.

Kitley

yes, I am only trying to control the algae. These tanks are all about three years old, and the algae has become very heavy in the last six months. For sure, I do need to do more water changes. For now, I am leaving all the tank lights off, and have covered the two 75 gallon tanks with heavy towels, and will see if that helps. My small tank has some kind of snails that seem to live under the gravel, and the two large tanks have mystery snails only, in them. I will give it a week or so, to see how it goes., and will start looking for nerite snails. Thanks all.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Sauceboat
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Donovan Jones
  • Richardp66
  • Algae
Replies
Views
86 ssinit