Algae Identification/solution

Discussion in 'Algae' started by JustSwimming, Apr 22, 2018.

1. JustSwimming

JustSwimmingNew MemberMember

Hello :)
    About a month ago I started noticing this hair-like algae growing on a few of my plants in my 29 gallon tank. At first I was able to just pull the bulk of it off with my fingers but soon after it seemed to take over my tank. I am hoping someone knows what kind of algae this is and how to deal with it. While I didn't mind it at first (I liked the texture it added), now it is hurting my plants and making my aquarium seem very dull. I am open to adding shrimp (I read amano are good with algae) or other fish.
    Tank stuff:
    29 Gallon
    15-20% water change every week- week and a half (the longer I go the more I do)
    ammonia = 0 ppm
    nitrate = 0 ppm
    nitrite = 0 ppm
    fish:
    2 zebra loaches
    1 dwarf gourami
    1 German blue ram
    6 zebra danio
    7 cardinal/neon tetras (there's a few of each but they school together)

Thank you so much for any advice that you can offer!
    IMG_9961.JPGIMG_9962.JPGIMG_9963.JPGIMG_9964.JPG

2. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

What lights are you using? Quit letting sunlight hit your tank if you are currently doing so. It's a beard algae and you've let it go a very long time. Otocinclus and or amano shrimp will help you, but you have got to get the basics down first. I wouldn't buy anything to fix the algae until you've fixed your lighting issue first.

Are you using any fertilizers?

3. OP
    OP
    JustSwimming

Thank you for replying so fast :)
    I'm still using the lights that came in an aquarium kit with my tank (15 leds spread over the lid) . I am not using any fertilizers.
    Should cover my tank with a towel or something for awhile to completely block out sunlight until I can find a better place for my tank?

4. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

I would on the sun side if possible. I just had to buy block out curtains for my living room as during midsummer and fall I didnt have the issue, but springtime the sun is shining brightly into my tank mid afternoons

5. OP
    OP
    JustSwimming

Okay, I'll give that a try.
    Thank you so much!

6. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Ottoa wont eat it SAEs are the only fish i know of that will eat BBA.

7. OP
    OP
    JustSwimming

Okay, thank you. I'll see about possibly adding some of those once my light issue is figured out.

8. tjander

tjanderWell Known MemberMember

With your current fish stock I don’t understand why you have zero Nitrate I would think that light is maybe only one of your problems. I think you might have a chemistry issues as well. Also, I have Amano shrimp and they don’t touch the algae. Also I am not sure but don’t SAE’s get large and also aggressive? I am not a big believer in adding animals to control a water problems. Please get a second opinion on your water parameters as I think this might be your bigger problem.

9. OP
    OP
    JustSwimming

I have tested my water at home with the api testing kit, but I’ll test it somewhere else. Hopefully the light will help. Thank you :)

10. tjander

Please don't misunderstand me, I am only saying that normally 5-20 is an average number for nitrates. ) would indicate that you really have a very clean tank and i would say its too clean. testing Nitrates with the API kit is a pain in the butt IMO, I like the 5 in one test strips, a bit more expensive but they seem to work well for me.
    Good luck

11. OP
    OP
    JustSwimming

They definitely are lol
    Thank you so much for your advice!

12. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I have 0 nitrates with a low ratio of bioload to plantmass so there is no normal number for nitrates.

13. tjander

@smee82. 17 fish in a 29 gal tank is not a light bioload. Your right there are a lot of variables that change the amount of nitrates. All I was saying is with that many fish zero nitrates is not normal. Just out of Curiosity how are you keeping your plants feed with no nitrates? Everything I have read says they need some nitrates if not from fish from ferts what are you using?

14. smee82

smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Yes plants need nitrates so I dose nitrates with water changes but theyre back at zero by weeks end.

Ive ran out of nitrates the other week and cant get any at the moment and have got a bad case of hair algae because of it.

15. tjander

Wow I wish I had your Nitrate problems. Hair algae is the worse

Good luck