Help Algae id?

JCM

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, could anyone please tell me what type of algae this is and how to get rid of it. It’s like brown furry string! I’v only just started keeping live plants so any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

67B48088-E8A9-4B2A-BE7C-337D23C81B4B.jpeg
02974DBE-2618-4715-BB64-B031E4E33ED9.jpeg
663B2F8C-17B5-46B8-8E16-A295F35E0E4A.jpeg

OP
JCM

JCM

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh ok so what exactly is a plantlet? And yes its java fern attached to wood.

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JCM said:
Oh ok so what exactly is a plantlet? And yes its java fern attached to wood.
baby java fern, the mother produces plantlets when stressed out as a last ditch effort to survive. It's okay though, even java ferns in the best kept planted tanks will produce plantelts from time to time.

OP
JCM

JCM

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh ok so is there anything I can do to make the plant healthier iv only had it maybe 1 month. I was told that it doesn’t need co2 or ferts

Chanyi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JCM said:
Oh ok so is there anything I can do to make the plant healthier iv only had it maybe 1 month. I was told that it doesn’t need co2 or ferts
All plants need CO2 and nutrients to survive, java fern doesn't require supplemental CO2 and nutrients in an aquarium, but they help.

Likely Flourish Comprehensive plus Flourish Trace and Flourish Excel would help with growth and not break the bank, they only supply micro nutrients and a mild algaecide, but the fish waste should be enough nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium for them. , and your tap water should have enough calcium and magnesium (I think the Flourish Comp / Trace have magnesium in them anyway).

New Threads