Question Algae ID please?

Kfarrell197

Reaction score
Can anyone ID this algae for me? Growing in a well established freshwater 7.5gal shrimp/snail tank. Never seen any like this before; it almost looks like tiny anemones (lol)?
IMG_4343.JPG
IMG_4345.JPG

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've never dealt with it but from my research about it i hear it a tough one to erradicate so yes remvoe what you can.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are Hydra, not algae. They feed on microorganisms, which tend to abound in shrimp tanks because there are no fish eating them. Eradication is difficult in your situation because the meds to kill the Hydra will also kill the shrimp and snails.

Kfarrell197

Reaction score
Do they pose a threat to my invertebrates? I have some guppies and rasboras I can move into the tank for a few days, would they consume the hydra? Thanks for the info!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IME, Guppies do not eat hydra. I had to treat a guppy tank for hydra on at least one occasion.

I am not a big invert keeper, so I cannot say whether the hydra are a direct threat to the shrimp.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are a threat to shrimp and baby fish. They have a venom (or toxin) that immobilizes the prey and they feed from it. They also feed off baby brine shrimp which is why they are a rampant problem in fry tanks. I would at least take that one leaf away or kill them outside the tank in a bucket. I didn't use chemicals to eradicate the hydra in my nursery tank, but they killed my babies! I think I just dismantled the whole tank tbh.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom