Algae ID for a two week old tank.

TreeofSouls

Reaction score
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I set up a 36 gal bow with controsoil and a Fluval 3.0. I may have gone a bit heavy on the lighting and have since lowered the intensity and duration. The tank is 2 weeks old with no livestock, just marimo moss, dwarf hairgrass and some floating plants. I've got a bit of an algae issue and I don't know if it's cyano or not. It's dark green and spreading to the plants and substrate. Thx for any answers.

Attachments

lilirose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes, that's cyano. I would recommend spot treating with hydrogen peroxide. As you have no livestock yet this can do no harm (it will also work safely in a tank with livestock but you have to be more careful with it). I would use a syringe with no needle- you can get one from a pharmacy, if you don't feel comfortable asking for one, then buy the sort that's used to give medicine to babies- and squirt a small amount of 3% peroxide directly at every spot that you see. Turn your filtration off until the peroxide stops bubbling so you don't kill off any beneficial bacteria that are starting to grow.

Erythromycin is another possible treatment if you live in the US but I think it's better to stay away from antibiotics unless other treatments don't work.

TreeofSouls

Reaction score
Thx Lili that's a huge help. Wasn't sure that's what I had but now that I know I'm going to nuke it.

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it's cyano, i'd def nuke it before you get fish. I don't like using antibiotics, but with no fish, I don't think it's a huge deal. I personally use the hydrogen peroxide spot method.

I get cyano from time to time in my tanks. It's best to nip it in the bud and keep at it, remove the substrate pieces with it and treat the whole tank with h2o2 since you don't have any fish yet.

Can't find my bookmarks anymore, but David1978 wrote a good write up about using h2o2.

Edit: Found the link
Peroxide How To - Freshwater Fish Disease 382067

TreeofSouls

Reaction score
Well being that I scaled down the lights and have been consistently performing daily 5 gallon water changes and the cyano is still spreading I treated the tank with Ultralife Green Slime Remover. I’ll give it 48 hours, perform a water change, treat one more time and then see the results. I’ll update in a few days. Thx for the responses. Angel, do you know if h202 has a negative effect on marimo?

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
TreeofSouls said:
Well being that I scaled down the lights and have been consistently performing daily 5 gallon water changes and the cyano is still spreading I treated the tank with Ultralife Green Slime Remover. I’ll give it 48 hours, perform a water change, treat one more time and then see the results. I’ll update in a few days. Thx for the responses. Angel, do you know if h202 has a negative effect on marimo?
Not sure about marimo, but I have spot treated my plants and they are fine with it. Let me know how the Green slime remover works, I still have cyano in my 'showtank' :( Not that bad, but I pretty much remove some daily.

lilirose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cyanobacteria is not light reactive so turning down the lights will not help.

H2O2 will have no effect on Marimo in my experience- I have Marimo in all my tanks and they are not harmed by Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom