Algae Help 15 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Algae' started by twc42397, Aug 13, 2019.

1. twc42397

twc42397New MemberMember

I’ve had some algae growing on my Anubias for a while and here recently it’s getting bad. I’ve tried to brush it off with a toothbrush but it didn’t even take it off. My Siamese algae eater aren’t doing much and I might get rid of them for other reasons but I was wondering if there was anything I can do to get rid of it?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. MrBryan723

MrBryan723Well Known MemberMember

Dose a tiny bit of hydrogen peroxide using a syringe or dropper onto the affected leaves. Maybe turn off your filter while you are dosing for about an hour in case you get carried away.

3. Loachlover357

Loachlover357Valued MemberMember

Would this also work for string algae as well?

4. MrBryan723

Indeed it does. Bba as well. Cyanobacteria, fungus, hydra, even ich and other protozoa.
    This means it will crash your cycle and kill moss balls and such as well so you really have to be careful dosing it and you can't run your filter with it if you dose the whole tank. It's really fantastic stuff but really risky if done wrong. Cheaper than any other meds and fish/shrimp safe at proper dosing levels.

5. Loachlover357

That's very interesting it can be used to trrat ich. I was wondering what other safer more natural remedies there were in aquarium keeping. i dont like to use chemicals, but i do use tea tree. Can i remove the plant from the tank to treat it with h2o2? I have foodsafe hydrogen peroxide. What percent should it be diluted to? Also, ive heard you can use h2o2 to kill snails and eggs. I can't remember where i heard it, so idk if its reliable. Thanks for the help!

6. MrBryan723

The plants will be fine. I didn't lose snails either at my concentration, but I'm sure higher doses would kill them too. I dip my plants in pure 3% solution before adding them to the tank. As far as concentration around 1- 2ml per gallon is pretty safe of the 3%. The food grade (35%?) Is some pretty stout stuff, you could use it, but would have to calculate the dose for your tank yourself.

7. fa4960

fa4960Well Known MemberMember

If you want to convert a higher concentration of H2O2 to e.g. 3% this is how you do it:

Let´s say you have 100 ml of 50% H2O2 then

50ml (hydrogen peroxide)/(100ml + added water) = percentage of hydrogen peroxide
    Water to add (ml) = (50/Required percentage) - 100

So for 30% you add... 66.6ml = (50/0.3) - 100
    for 22% you add... 127.3ml = (50/0.22) - 100
    for 3% you add... 1566ml = (50/0.03) - 100

So replace "50" with whatever percentage H2O2 your food grade solution is and replace "100" with whatever amount you want to dilute. I would dilute to 3% and use that in your tank.

8. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Most hydrogen peroxide sold in drug stores for medicinal use in the US and Europe is already diluted to a 3% concentration- if that helps...

9. Loachlover357

10. RickyRicardo1838

RickyRicardo1838Valued MemberMember

What I do when my plants get covered in alage is pull them out and scrub them with a magic eraser, makes the plants squeaky clean. Algae comes off super easy with the magic eraser.

11. Loachlover357

Yeah, i think so. i keep it in the freezer, so id have to go look. I dilute it with distilled water to 3% and just reuse the brown bottle from the store. I have to do the math everytime. Lol! Next time i guess i should just write it on the bottle.

12. Loachlover357

I had to laugh, cause i was talking about live plants!

13. RickyRicardo1838

RickyRicardo1838Valued MemberMember

Lol I'm talking about live plants too, I use it on my anubias and amazon swords.

14. Loachlover357

15. Latrell

LatrellValued MemberMember

Try getting some algae eaters or you can stick with the H2O2 method