Algae Help

1. Mooky Member Member

I haven't posted on here in a while because I hadn't had any problems until the last 2 or 3 weeks. For those that don't know my setup, I have a 20 gallon high tank with six long fin zebra danios, 6 corys, and a neon blue dwarf gourami. I also have a Mean Green killing machine that is kept my tank crystal clear. I still do weekly water changes and vacuum as well as cleaning my cartridges in my filter. Now it seems like algae is growing faster than it used to and the water is not absolutely perfectly clear, and hazy again at times. I know my Mean Green killing machine is still working because the light is on the box. Any suggestions to help? I know some algae is fine on my decor, since fish like to nibble on it. Thanks in advance

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Are you sure the bulb inside the Mean Green algae killer is still working or working at full capacity though? Is it fluorescent or LED?

3. Mooky Member Member

LED. I guess it is if the light is on the power box. I haven't had it that long and it should be still working. I have been keeping light on 10 hrs and MGKM and light are on a timer.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How long has the tank been running?

5. Mooky Member Member

Since April. When I ended up with a bacterial bloom, that's when I got the green killing machine and water has been crystal clear. No probs. I just cleaned the sponge thing in it. Was told at least once a month to.

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

How did you clean the sponge?

7. Mooky Member Member

Just under the faucet per instructions

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

That could be the contributing factor. Rinsing in tap water could have killed off your bacteria. Only ever rinse your media in tank water you've removed during a water change or dechlorinated tap water. The population of bacteria was probably cut down enough that there wasn't enough competition for nutrients in the water so free-floating bacteria were able to get a foothold.

9. Mooky Member Member

That was just the sponge thing for the green killing machine. I rinse the filter cartridges in a container I just use for tank water when I do water changes.

10. Mooky Member Member

Should I do another water change to help? I usually do them every Monday.

11. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I would increase the water changes for the time being and see if that helps.

12. Mooky Member Member

Ok. Thanks. Will do one now. When should I do another?

13. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Personally I would try for every other day for a week just to see if that helps.

14. Mooky Member Member

Ok. Thanks. Forgot to tell you I am using old filter media still that I used when I was cycling my tank. I just cut stuff off old filter I was using in old tank and poured carbon out. Have 2 other cartridges I use in my filter. Will see how the water changes do. Appreciate the help.

15. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, it really doesn't sound like you lost your cycle but I can't think of what else to attribute your algae issue to! Unless it's not an algae issue at all...

16. Mooky Member Member

No it's algae I think. It's as green as Kermit the frog. It might have been because I was rinsing off one of my decorations. That might have had something to do with it . Been tiny spots of algae on the glass that I've used with the scrubber . Nothing major in that department on the glass. I did put the decor in bucket of water that had conditioner in it before I put it back in the tank. I don't think I lost my cycle either. We'll see what happens. Gonna run my Mean Green killing machine constantly until it gets back like it was. Then will put it back on timer. That's how I got my tank was crystal clear before. There's anything else you can think of let me know. Thanks again.

17. tjander Well Known Member Member

Your BB is fine, cut back on any fertilizers and also how much light you are giving the tank. Also, check your nitrates as this could be a source of your algae.