Algae growing on plants

Fishman983

I have a 55 gallon planted tank and the algae is growing out of control on the plants leaves I have two 800 gallon per hour power heads and dose the tank with algae fix and the the tank has no direct sun light and receives 9 hours of light and the algae still grows on the plants any advice helps

Tristen

Fishman983 said:
I have a 55 gallon planted tank and the algae is growing out of control on the plants leaves I have two 800 gallon per hour power heads and dose the tank with algae fix and the the tank has no direct sun light and receives 9 hours of light and the algae still grows on the plants any advice helps
Can you post a picture. It might not be algae.

OP
F

Fishman983

I think it is alge because I can scrape it off with My finger after a while

Tristen

Fishman983 said:
I think it is alge because I can scrape it off with My finger after a while
It looks like brown algae. First I would say lower the lights to 7-8 hours a day. Second how is the surface agitation in the tank? Is there any parts of the water that are still? To fix this add some air stones or a big air stone to keep the water moving. This helps a lot with algae too. You can also try flourish excel. Or you could try getting an algae eater in the tank.

Tscott667

Is that Diatom? I'm having that problem right now too, tank cycled about 1.5 months ago. I've heard it goes away. They are all over my plants making them look ugly. I use a tooth brush every now and again but some plants its hard since they are so small.

faydout

Well Known
I may have seen my nerites on any of my plants... maybe enough times to count on one hand. They love cleaning off the wood and glass, and a lot of times during the day they'll bury themselves in the sand right up front. Manual removal is the best method I've personally found for removing algae off of plant leaves.

Nickguy5467

Well Known
faydout said:
I may have seen my nerites on any of my plants... maybe enough times to count on one hand. They love cleaning off the wood and glass, and a lot of times during the day they'll bury themselves in the sand right up front. Manual removal is the best method I've personally found for removing algae off of plant leaves.
how do you manually remove without damaging them?

faydout

Well Known
Carefully rubbing the leaf between your fingers usually does the trick. Magic Erasers help some, too.

Mandy627

Tristen said:
It looks like brown algae. First I would say lower the lights to 7-8 hours a day. Second how is the surface agitation in the tank? Is there any parts of the water that are still? To fix this add some air stones or a big air stone to keep the water moving. This helps a lot with algae too. You can also try flourish excel. Or you could try getting an algae eater in the tank.
Wouldn't adding nutrients such as flourish excel make it worse? Just curious because I have similar looking algae I'm battling. I have cut back dosing and have been manually removing it, increasing water changes and it's looking better finally.

Tristen

Mandy627 said:
Wouldn't adding nutrients such as flourish excel make it worse? Just curious because I have similar looking algae I'm battling. I have cut back dosing and have been manually removing it, increasing water changes and it's looking better finally.
Flourish excel is a type of algaecide. When you dose flourish excel it helps kill of algae especially black beard algae.

faydout

Well Known
Excel isn't a fertilizer. It's an algaecide. The main ingredient, glutaraldehyde, kills algae. Not the kind that's building up on your leaves. I'd look at switching up lighting and feeding. Maybe shave an hour off per day and cut food by half for a week or two, see if that makes a difference.

Apoorvthegreat

Try reducing lighting time to 5-6 hours (maximum)(It's better if the lights are on only for 2-4 hours) for a week and cut off the leaves that are covered with algae... new leaves will grow back soon enough.

New Threads