algae growing on my java ferns...

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by 0morrokh, Apr 6, 2006.

1. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

...what do I do?? I've heard you can siphon it off, but the plants are new and just getting attached to the fake wood and I don't want to disturb them. I guess the algae is not enough to attract the Otos, but I just noticed a little bit today and I'm just wondering what to do...
    Oh yeah, it seems like the java ferns' leaves are dying off. I can't figure out why. There's just a tiny bit of algae in a few places... Hey, could the finrot medication I'm using be harming the plants? ???

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Well, the leaves have been getting worse and worse. I've removed quite a few half-dead ones.
    I just remembered hearing that some aquarium plants are grown above water, and once submerged the "land" leaves will fall off and new "water" leaves will grow. The java ferns were standing up fine while I was attaching them to the wood, and I think they would have flopped over if they were grown underwater. Do you guys think this is what is happening?
    And what do you do about algae growing on plants??

3. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

You might be exposing them to too much light and you just need to rub it off with your fingers every week. That's my best guess.

4. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Well, the tank shouldn't be getting too much light, but since there are only 2 plants in there, the algae is probably using up the light there is. I'll see if it improves once they are moved to the fully planted 20g. I hadn't thought of rubbing it off with my fingers. I'll have to remember that.

The leaves are dying off quite quickly now, but I have noticed new, healthy "baby" leaves starting to grow. Hopefully I'm right about the plants being grown above land.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice