algae growing on my java ferns...

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
...what do I do?? I've heard you can siphon it off, but the plants are new and just getting attached to the fake wood and I don't want to disturb them. I guess the algae is not enough to attract the Otos, but I just noticed a little bit today and I'm just wondering what to do...
Oh yeah, it seems like the java ferns' leaves are dying off. I can't figure out why. There's just a tiny bit of algae in a few places... Hey, could the finrot medication I'm using be harming the plants? ???

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, the leaves have been getting worse and worse. I've removed quite a few half-dead ones.
I just remembered hearing that some aquarium plants are grown above water, and once submerged the "land" leaves will fall off and new "water" leaves will grow. The java ferns were standing up fine while I was attaching them to the wood, and I think they would have flopped over if they were grown underwater. Do you guys think this is what is happening?
And what do you do about algae growing on plants??

OP
0morrokh

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, the tank shouldn't be getting too much light, but since there are only 2 plants in there, the algae is probably using up the light there is. I'll see if it improves once they are moved to the fully planted 20g. I hadn't thought of rubbing it off with my fingers. I'll have to remember that.

The leaves are dying off quite quickly now, but I have noticed new, healthy "baby" leaves starting to grow. Hopefully I'm right about the plants being grown above land.

New Threads