Question Algae growing fast

GreetedMussel44

Active Member
Member
Messages
156
Reaction score
25
Location
Netherlands
Experience
Just started
I have a new 30 gallon tank that already has quite a bit of algae on the glass after only running for a week ?!
My 6 Gallon hardly has any Algae and has been running for more than a month now.

Does anyone what the problem is ?

The tank is not next to a window so there’s no direct sunlight shining on it.
And I keep my lights on from 8 am - 7pm
Same with my 6 gallon
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
GreetedMussel44

GreetedMussel44

Active Member
Member
Messages
156
Reaction score
25
Location
Netherlands
Experience
Just started
CoryFan said:
Limit your lights to 6 hours and it should go away soon
Oh ok. Is 7-8 hours ok ? I have school and my parents have work as well. So no one’s at home to turn them off
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
10,055
Reaction score
10,009
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
3 years
I agree lower tour light schedule a bit maybe u can turn them on when u get home from school that way you have more time to enjoy watching them. Assuming u get out of school around 2-3 you could turn them off when u go to bed.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
GreetedMussel44

GreetedMussel44

Active Member
Member
Messages
156
Reaction score
25
Location
Netherlands
Experience
Just started
kallililly1973 said:
I agree lower tour light schedule a bit maybe u can turn them on when u get home from school that way you have more time to enjoy watching them. Assuming u get out of school around 2-3 you could turn them off when u go to bed.
Oh yeah. Good idea... didn’t think about that.
And one more thing. I’m going on vacation for 3days. Is it ok if I just keep the lights turned off and feed them food that slowly dissolves ?

Thanks a lot .
 

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
10,055
Reaction score
10,009
Location
Rhode Island USA
Experience
3 years
GreetedMussel44 said:
Oh yeah. Good idea... didn’t think about that.
And one more thing. I’m going on vacation for 3days. Is it ok if I just keep the lights turned off and feed them food that slowly dissolves ?

Thanks a lot .
Keep the lights off don’t put slow dissolving food in the tank leave it be for the three days they will be perfectly fine
 

treadingwater

Active Member
Member
Messages
246
Reaction score
205
Location
Illinois
Experience
More than 10 years
GreetedMussel44 said:
Oh ok. Is 7-8 hours ok ? I have school and my parents have work as well. So no one’s at home to turn them off
fish don't need lights, its for our pleasure. You don't even have to turn them on until you get home for the day. especially if no one is home. It will save on electricity as well. Or you can get timers for your lights. Walmart has them for as low as $5.00
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
192
Guests online
2,476
Total visitors
2,668

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom