Algae - good or bad?

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just doing "doctors rounds" for Neptune, and noticed the (fake) anemone in his tank has what looks like algae stuck to several of the rubbery tentacles. Since my tank isn't cycled, should I leave that in, or should I take it out and rinse it off? Neptune loves to sleep and rest on the really soft rubbery tentacles.

Also yesterday there were bare "spines" on his lower tail. Now either the spines fell off or the new darker kinda burgundy red webbing is new growth....or new fin rot. He is dark blue and those funny long front fins are red/purple. Anyone have any thoughts on this. The last time I saw this red, it turned out to be new growth, and he still has it, that colour on the upper tail. I read red is bad, but I have also read that white is bad and the regrowth will be darker ie red/burgundy. Thoughts??

If it is regrowth, I think I may with hold meds and keep an eye on him for a couple days since he has been on so many for so long. ( Yesterday was 50% water change, new carbon filter and today all water parameters are 0ppm. the tank is crystal clear. He is eating, still swimming all over his tank, and still ( darn!) is completely oblivious to the stress he causes :-\ - even tho I tell him all the time!! LOL

Thanks. Val

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
voiceless_kat said:
Just doing "doctors rounds" for Neptune, and noticed the (fake) anemone in his tank has what looks like algae stuck to several of the rubbery tentacles. Since my tank isn't cycled, should I leave that in, or should I take it out and rinse it off? Neptune loves to sleep and rest on the really soft rubbery tentacles.

Also yesterday there were bare "spines" on his lower tail. Now either the spines fell off or the new darker kinda burgundy red webbing is new growth....or new fin rot. He is dark blue and those funny long front fins are red/purple. Anyone have any thoughts on this. The last time I saw this red, it turned out to be new growth, and he still has it, that colour on the upper tail. I read red is bad, but I have also read that white is bad and the regrowth will be darker ie red/burgundy. Thoughts??

If it is regrowth, I think I may with hold meds and keep an eye on him for a couple days since he has been on so many for so long. ( Yesterday was 50% water change, new carbon filter and today all water parameters are 0ppm. the tank is crystal clear. He is eating, still swimming all over his tank, and still ( darn!) is completely oblivious to the stress he causes :-\ - even tho I tell him all the time!! LOL

Thanks. Val
I'm not the expert, but I'd clean it if it were in one of our Betta tanks just to be on the safe side, especially if your Betta lies on it a bit. I'd wait on meds too, I often feel like I might "jump the gun" too much on that and right our Betta Aslan has us thinking of treating him for fin rot, but I really think he's just been tearing his fins on a piece of decor that we moved out of the tank. His water is 7.0ph, 0 on ammonia & nitrites & 5 on nitrates, just got a new filter last week and I just cleaned it yesterday along with about a 1/3rd water change. We'll watch him & see, but for now I hate to overmedicate him. You might put something in for helping fins heal faster but you sound like you're doing the right thing waiting a few days. Keep us posted & if you can post pics for the more knowlegable Betta owners here to look at.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are three pics, kind of blurry. He is resting on the anemome and you can kinda see the "stuff" I was talking about. It's kinda creepy....I am definetly leaning toward removing/rinsing/return. On the second pic, the darker burgundy parts of his tail fin is what I am wondering about. The third photo ( assuming these are in order of posting) was taken on the 15th March when I found this new. What do you think??

I know what you mean about too much medication. Even tho I am a great believer in drugs used for their purpose, sometimes it is just good to step back and take a breather. It must be the same for humans and animals - just to give the body a chance to clean itself.

I use Stress Coat as my conditioner/dechlorinator, it suggest a little larger dose to repair damaged fins and replace slime coat. Val

**** I only got one photo, from march 15th on. I will try again.

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
The same thing is happening to my betta's fins. It seems like it's regrowth and then it disintegrates again... this has happened 3 times maybe. I don't know what to make of it.

Also, I have similar gucky algae around my heater and on my tank ornament... Dory actually nips at it sometimes. Do you think this is bad for him?

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
antisen said:
The same thing is happening to my betta's fins. It seems like it's regrowth and then it disintegrates again... this has happened 3 times maybe. I don't know what to make of it.

Ya it has happened to Neptune a couple of times also..short of measuring his fins, I am unable to tell if they get short, then grow, then get short again, then grow?? Maybe one of those really smart fish people like Mike or Rose can help us answer that question?

Also, I have similar gucky algae around my heater and on my tank ornament... Dory actually nips at it sometimes. Do you think this is bad for him?
Well being new to this whole game, I can't tell the difference between good algae and bad LOL :-[ And since my tank hasn't cycled I hesitate to do too much other than the water changes and I wipe down the insides of the tank before I refill. I hope it isn't bad, it looks like something out of creatures of the deep - just kinda this hazy icky stuff - kinda jelly - like. Eww! I know if it were on my fish I would freak. I am hoping there will be a little more input to help me decide what to do -- as I was told, the cycling comes second to the health of these little guys, and I agree with that.

Keep watching Antisen and maybe we can help Dory & Neptune together. Val

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
I can't see what harm there would be in rinsing it off. In fact, the next time I do a water change, I think i'm going to pull my tank decore out and rinse everything off. It's all getting kind of grungy. My only worry would be that I'd want everything to dry completly before going back in because I wouldn't want any of the chlorine from the tap water getting into the tank, though in such small amounts, I'm likely being paranoid!

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah it couldn't hurt just to rinse them off. Natalie

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I pulled it and rinsed it off with some of my treated water. Neptune didn't like to see it go - - LOL & was happy when it went back in. He went straight to it. So cute!

Would anyone looking at the photos I posted weigh in on whether or not that burgundy tail looks like new growth?? OR new tail rot?

Thanks. Val

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It looks to me like it might be new growth. Sometimes when they have finrot and the regrowth starts to come back it comes in a different color. I would keep an eye on it and see what happens. Natalie

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's hard to say whether it's new growth or not, val.  Your Betta is the same color as ours with all the same markings.  Our Betta's tail has reddish highlights, too.  But, I really kept an eye on those areas each time his tail disintegrated.  My concern was that it could septicemia. Though nothing really ever came of it, it should be watched.  

Over time it will improve or get worse.  If it disintegrates, tears, develops a hole in the webbing, or shows any signs of deterioration, then it's probably time to get back to meds. 

Hopefully you'll get a chance to get some Maracyn 2 and some Amquel+.  If it comes time to do treatment, using the Amquel+ as the water conditioner will make dosing the tank a lot easier and will eliminate both ammonia and water changes. 

Mike

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
voiceless_kat said:
I pulled it and rinsed it off with some of my treated water. Neptune didn't like to see it go - - LOL & was happy when it went back in. He went straight to it. So cute!

Would anyone looking at the photos I posted weigh in on whether or not that burgundy tail looks like new growth?? OR new tail rot?

Thanks. Val
I'd say the same as Natalie - looks like new growth.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It won't hurt the betta to eat the algae. Just some veggies in his diet. It just looks icky in the tank. And it wont hurt to remove it either. If your tank is big enough, get an otto and he'll take care of all of that. (don't forget to feed him sinking algae wafers when there isn't any algae in the tank)

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Green algae is harmless to fish but can take over your tank very fast and looks ugly. It's best to remove it whenever you see some by taking out the ornament and giving them a good scrub or using an algae sponge (available from your lfs) to wipe down the sides of the tank. If you have room for a couple of Otos they can help by eating it too. One of my females, Karma loves to eat her algae and her side of the tank is always clean and algae free whereas her neighbor Whisper's side of the tank is filthy and poopy and full of algae.  ;D I always have to vacumm her side more than Karma's. They both have very different housekeeping styles. 

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
LOL Phlox!! It wasn't a green algae, it was kind of a jelly like clear thingee creepy ickee that was on the tentacles - as best as I can describe it. Anyway, I pulled it, cleaned it, wiped underneath it ( green algae there) and put it back. Neptune went right into it!! Since it appears I will be investing some more $$$$$ at Foster & Smith (****) I think I will order a long one also.

I need some Amquel + ; Maracyn2 and whatever else I can think of! They must love people like us. I could order that stuff on line up here ( Canada) , but who knows how long it will take to get here? Plus higher shipping, plus tax!!! Man! Mike has given me some stellar advice and simplified the dosing, so I think I can handle that! :-[

The idea of having anything else to look after in the tank before I get Neptune settled could send me right over the edge.............but who knows, perhaps when/if this little hellion settles down! Val

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had that slimy stuff in 2 of my tanks before!    It's called slime algae and when you see it get rid of it as fast as you can. It grows fast and covers EVERYTHING, including the gravel. It's absolutely GROSS! Usually after I remove it once or twice and do a water change it stops coming back.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well this is a timely thread because when I was feeding Neptune his pea treat tonight, I noticed it is back! Ahhhhhhhhhhh. I can see it just on the anemone...so will check everything else close tomorrow. I haven't been vacuuming the gravel much due to the waiting for cycling to start. :-\ it is the creeping crud, literally!!

I am kinda waiting for Mike's advice on another post regarding medicating/water changes/only water changes until I get Amquel +.

Does this never end........glad I took early retirement, now I am the nanny/doctor/nurse/caretaker to a three inch fish as a full time job!!! :-[

I pulled the beloved anemone out of the tank. Guess he will have to slum and sleep on a leaf tonight!! Val

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I hear you.  I am parenting 4 bettas while working.  Thank goodness this is spring break! I have an entire week to get my 3 little ones well.  I am sending healing thoughts and sympathy to you and your baby. I'm sure Neptune will sleep just fine on his leaf. LOL

CherryRose  

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I Googled Slime Algae and none of the pictures or descriptions sound like what was on the anemone. I has no colour - course it's me so that means it is waiting to go crazy when I let my defenses down and think I have a healthy Neptune...LOL.

However I am going to check everything (heater/filter,etc) in the morning. I have been wiping the walls down when I change water, and will check the plants. ( silk)

Guess I will have to do a gravel vacuum - who am I kidding anyway, the tank is never going to to cycle - I got Neptune Feb 9th!!!

Val

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
My bettas 10 gallon has been getting a bad case of brown algae on everything.
And once a week.. I take their decor out.. also will take out the heater and the airstone and scrub it all down in discarded tank water.
I use a toothbrush (only used it for this)... to scrub off the algae spots... really helpful when getting at the rock on my male's side.

Shastam

Reaction score
Neptune looks very similar to Samson, and his fins look the same. I think its regrowth, because now I'm noticing the color coming back.

About the algae problems... I always keep a small snail in the tank to clean up, and I've never had any problems with algae. I just added to ottos to samson tank to keep it clean and he actually loves them. I know some betta's don't like company, but he actually hangs out where the ottos are and just watches them. But a snail is a cheap way to clean up a tank, especially the smaller ones. Good luck, I know how expensive all meds get, I had a nasty time with my goldfish recently! I swear stores make more off accessories and meds than the fish!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom