Algae for Nerite snails

Discussion in 'Snails' started by slimeneo, Dec 3, 2012.

1. slimeneo

slimeneo Valued Member Member

So I have 3 nerite snails and they've pretty much eaten all the algae in my tank. I have tried feeding the fresh veggies and algae wafers... but unfortunately my fish (2 platies and 2 gold barbs) attack it way before the snails even realize. I even try to move them towards the food... but then my fish move it away within seconds. :|

I'm thinking of growing algae outside, except it's getting cold now.. would it be ok if I moved algae from my pond to the aquarium? I have goldfish in my pond and there is a LOT of algae. maybe I could put a small rock outside and wait until it's covered then bring it in? I'm just afraid of bad things getting inside my aquarium, or if the algae is even the right kind for my nerites.

If the algae outside won't work, how would I grow algae inside? Thanks :)

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Try putting in a small.piece or two of vegies at night. Your fish should be less active, and your snails more active.

3. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

Ok, ill try some lettuce tomorrow. Should I move the snails on the lettuce or will they eventually find it themselves? They move so slowly haha, I don't think they would notice :/

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

Just leave it they will find it on there own.. and try zuccini when you get a chance... it is high in calcium which is good for their shells :)

5. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

You *might* consider re-homing one or two of them. Nerites don't have a high bioload, but I think it would be hard to grow enough algae to keep three of them alive in a little 10gal tank. My one nerite used to keep my 29gal really clean before he died.

6. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

I'll be moving one of them to the fry tank :) Do you think it will be safe to feed them the algae in the pond? There's a lot of it, so I think it'll be enough to sustain them.

7. aylad

If you can get them to eat it, yes, it should be safe... with a caveat that diseases in your pond or chemicals that you use in your pond will be carried over with the algae. If the pond is healthy, there shouldn't be any problems.

8. M

MMJ Valued Member Member

This seems to be a good idea indeed
    But you can do another thing too if possible leave the snails in the pond for a couple of days
    Until algae grows back in your tank..

cause goldfish wont hurt your snails from feed on algae

9. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

Thanks :D I put one in and one of my snails (and a platy) happily gobbled it up. The other snails didn't notice in time lol.

I don't want to risk putting my nerites in the pond because I'm not sure they would be OK in the cold temperatures at night.. plus I'd only be able to put them where the water flows down since it would be a pain to try to search for them in the pond where the goldfish are xD Thanks for the idea though :) Actually I found some snails in my pond, but they're really really tiny and cute lol. Even though there are snails in there, there is still so much algae... I don't even feed my goldfish that much/often!!

10. aylad

Try dropping it in at night after the lights have been off for a while. The platies *might* miss it that way (although, from experience, they don't need much light... greedy little fish). :)

11. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, it will be hard to keep enough algae for 3 nerites in a 10. Glad you split them up.

You don't have to grow the algae outside, I don't think. Just fill some mason jars with tank water and put rocks in them, and place them on a sunny windowsill. If you had enough, you could have a constant rotation of algae rocks.

I'd be curious if adding a little fertilizer won't help the algae grow, both in the mason jars and in the tank.

12. OP
    OP
    slimeneo

Haha yeah, I'll try that today :) Oddly only one of the fish decided to try it and I guess she liked it...

Hmm, what kind of fertilizer do you think would help? I dose plant ferts in my tank, API leaf zone & flourish comp but I don't think those help algae grow. I put a little bit of fish food with the rocks that I took from the pond, they're now in a little bowl with water :)

I'll be moving the snail once the cycle in my 5.5 gal is finished. Then there won't be competition for the algae (well for that one snail) :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice