Algae/fertilizer question.

Derek88242

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey everyone quick question. 4 days ago I stopped dosing fertilizer because I have been fighting algae and wanted to see the effects of lower nutrients in the water. I planned on running this test for 1-2 weeks. My java fern previously looked great with bright green leaves and minimal algae growth. Today I noticed java fern looks horrible, leaves turning Brown with black dots everywhere. I have fast growing stem plants which have not seem to be affected and I thought if I saw signs of nutrient deficiencies I would see it with stem plants first. So in my situation what would you do? Should I resume fertilizer dosing?

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes, usually plant deficiency shows up in slow growing plants first.

Could you post a picture of your tank + plants?

Stopping fertilizer is not usually the best idea, because starving plants will stall and decompose, and algae will feed on that decaying matter. Plus, unhealthy plants aren't going to be able to outcompete algae.

OP
D

Derek88242

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
-Mak- said:
Yes, usually plant deficiency shows up in slow growing plants first.

Could you post a picture of your tank + plants?

Stopping fertilizer is not usually the best idea, because starving plants will stall and decompose, and algae will feed on that decaying matter. Plus, unhealthy plants aren't going to be able to outcompete algae.
hey thank you for responding. Yes I know now stopping fertilizer is a bad idea was just curious because ive been having algae issues but I will keep trying to find that good tank balance. My java fern is looking even worse since my original post so i will resume fertilizer tomorrow. Tank light is off now but I can get a picture tomorrow.

New Threads