Algae Farm

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by uprightandlocked, Apr 6, 2010.

1. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Hello All:

Now that my planaria problem is under control I'm going to (hopefully) rely solely on natural algae in my tank to feed my RCS. Right now I swap plants out between my betta tanks and my RCS tank. When they get cleaned in the RCS tank they go back into a betta tank, and an algae covered plant gets put into the RCS tank in return.

I'm afraid these guys eat like its their job and I worry that I won't have enough natural algae in the tank to prevent me from feeding algae wafers.

Today I set up an "algae farm". I took a medium sized glass cracker jar and filled it halfway with tap water. Then I broke (with a hammer) a small clay pot and arranged the pieces in the cracker jar. I then put the lid on the jar and placed it out on my deck, which gets a lot of afternoon and evening sunlight. Does this sound like a healthy set up for algae growth?

I plan on rotating these pieces in and out of my RCS tank to keep them fed. Anything else I need to do? And does anyone else do this in their tanks? How does it work out for you?

Thanks,

Tony

2. TedsTank

TedsTank Well Known Member Member

That should work great!! You could seed it with some algae from a tank or some tank water....but it will grow there anyway.

3. OP
    OP
    u

Hello...will adding some existing tank water speed up the algae growth?

4. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

You need to open the lid to allow for gas exchange... the algae needs CO2 and if it uses it all up and the lid is shut it will die... but should work great otherwise and i like the idea... in fact that is how im going to feed my rcs from now on : )

5. OP
    OP
    u

Thanks for that advice, ilikefish. If I find a way to poke holes in the lid will that be enough exchange? I don't want mosquitos or anything growing in the jar since it is outside...

6. i

If you poke 2 holes then yes : ) any wind that touches the bottle will go in one hole out the other... they can be small to so no mosquitoes get in there. Good luck. I already made mine : )

7. OP
    OP
    u

Hello...I went outside and poked about 10 holes with a nail in the top of the lid. I hope this works!

8. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a good idea to me... I think I might try it once it warms up enough for algae to grow! ha ha--temp is still dropping too much at night here :p

9. OP
    OP
    u

Hello...what is an optimal temperature? It had been in the 70s (close to 80) and sunny here for about two weeks. Now its dropping back into the 60s and 50s during the day with thunderstorms ... not good growing conditions? lol

10. i

Algae prefers warmer temps hands down. It WILL grow in low temps but you probably won't grow fast enough for you shrimp... If you can keep the jar at temps above 70 I think you should be fine and if you can keep the temp around 80-90 you'll be flourishing! our pond which sits in FULL sun in Houston Texas that has 100-110 degree temps makes algae Grow like crazy! buttt I'm not sure thats optimal...

If its under 60 I would definitely bring it inside and put it on a windowsill.

But really the most important thing is lighting... if it gets enough light you should be fine... Also, If you have any excel comprehensive you could dose your jar with that ONCE so that it helps the algae get going... but once it gets going you should be fine. Good luck!

11. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I add a pinch of fish food weekly or so to my algae farm to provide them with nitrate, ammonia, and all that good stuff.

12. OP
    OP
    u

Okay, thanks everyone for the advice. I will add some fish food tomorrow to the jar. Also, does chlorine from tap water hurt algae growth? I am wondering with temperatures rising whether or not I'll need to add water due to evaporation and don't want the chlorine to hurt.

13. Betta Whisperer

Betta Whisperer Well Known Member Member

Could you use a piece of mosquito netting over the top held on with a rubber band? I have a Kio pond that is full of algae but I'm affraid to bring any in to my tank it may be full of unwanted bugs. There is some hornwort in it that I could bring in and rinse off that has algae on it. I think I'll do that. Last year I used to bring dieing lily leaves in for them. They love those. Anytime I get worms in the rcs tank from over feeding I just pop a Betta in there for a few days and they are gone in no time. Betta's love the live food.

14. i

I use pantyhose on top now... Also Chlorine does hurt the algae... Just put water in a bucket and let it sit for 24 hours that gets rid of the chloramines which is half the bad stuff right there... Also you could get dechlorinater drops for cheap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice