algae farm???

Discussion in 'Algae' started by rainbows, Mar 22, 2010.

1. r

rainbows Valued Member Member

I've read several post regarding growing (extra) algae for oto's. So I'm giving it a try but not too sure I've got this right. I've placed some smooth river rocks in a glass bowl with water from tank (also swished the filter around in the water to help the process). The bowl is sitting in a sunny window for about a week now and so far I don't see any algae growing. The rocks do have a little slimy film on them but that’s it. We have had a couple of overcast days which the bowl did not get direct sunlight...

Am I missing some part of the process? Does it take longer than a week?

Thanks for your help!!

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I did the same thing, but covered the bowl with saran wrap.
    Don't know if that made a difference.

3. OP
    OP
    r

Did it take longer than a week to start seeing algae? And what exactly did the algae growth look like?

4. OP
    OP
    r

how to grow an algae farm?

I posted this over on the 'general discussion' but maybe this is a better place for it :)

I've read several post regarding growing (extra) algae for oto's. So I'm giving it a try but not too sure I've got this right. I've placed some smooth river rocks in a glass bowl with water from tank (also swished the filter around in the water to help the process). The bowl is sitting in a sunny window for about a week now and so far I don't see any algae growing. The rocks do have a little slimy film on them but that’s it. We have had a couple of overcast days which the bowl did not get direct sunlight...

Thanks for your help!!

5. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if your anything like carol, aka butterfly, you wont be able to grow algae even on purpose LOL

but you are doing everything right...just leave it and forget it ;)

6. Lucy

Your threads have been merged. It's not necessary to start multiple threads for one question.
    If you need some thing moved, just ask :)

It was a while ago, I have a thread with pics. I'll look for it.

LOL, I think she can grow algea, but can't grow green water.

Here's the thread:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/general-discussion-archive/29285-my-algae-farm-dont-laugh.html

Looks like it took about 7 days to start to get a small start on the algea.
    You can see the glass starting to get green.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  7. OP
    OP
    r

algae farm

I posted this other places but have lost track of where so sorry if you've already read this

Thanks for your help!!

8. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

The algae needs food, idk how you would feed it tho

9. Lucy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice