Algae Explosion Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jayda97, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Jayda97Valued MemberMember

So my tank has been cycled and running well since October (so 9 months now). The past few days i noticed my glass looking cloudy and suddenly BOOM algae. All my readings are still normal (0, 0, 5-10) And my lighting schedule hasn’t changed. Any ideas why this happened and what type of algae it is? Ive seen the brown algae before and my snails ate it but i dont know what the other stuff it.

Attached Files:

2. Rocco04New MemberMember

How long do you have your light on for a day ? Also what fish are in the tank ?

3. Jayda97Valued MemberMember

I aim for 12 hours on 12 off. So 10am they get turned on and 10pm off but sometimes i leave for work at 6 and my boyfriend forgets to turn them on so then it’s around 6-7 hours on. theres only a betta and a nerite in the tank because its only 5.5g

4. HeronValued MemberMember

Algae can be hard to control. How often do you clean the glass in your tank? Allowing algae to grow in places where it is not a Problem like the back glass can stop algae where you don't want it. The only thing I can suggest for your current problem is to remove as much as you can then leave the lights off for a few days.

5. Jayda97Valued MemberMember

for the most part i just leave it for the snail to take care of but he’s hibernating right now. Since ive set the tank up ive cleaned the glass maybe 4 times and ive never done the back glass just the front and sides. Im going to wash the plants when i do my next water change i was just curious why it came out of nowhere. My big tank gets brown algae on the glass but this tank is cloudy slime basically

6. Rocco04New MemberMember

I’d totally suggest running your light only 5-7 hours a day. Even at that I was reading a post where people would only give their tanks like 2-3 hours a day and they had live plants and they would be just fine

7. PascalKryptValued MemberMember

Could be because there is some source of nutrient (i.e. ammonia) in the tank. Overfeeding possibly, or some remnant of food that you missed while vacuuming or that sunk between the gravel. 5.5 is a low volume so a little could be enough to tip the balance so suddenly.

8. Jayda97Valued MemberMember

he only gets 4 pellets a day so hes not overfed but it’s possible something got stuck somewhere