Algae experts, I have questions.

SparkyJones

Yall might think I'm crazy.
I'm not good at growing plants or algae. Diatoms though I'm a master, but algae has been difficult for me. Like one tank grows a green sheet on the lid glass right under the light above the sponge filter, that's it.

What I'd like to know is, I have this skull aquarium decoration, I want this covered in a hair algae (like a chia pet in a way) for a decoration.

What's the best way to achieve this? stick it in a 1g jar in water on the porch for a month in the sun or shade, something like that? Ideally I'd like BBA, or Staghorn, something stringy. I really don't get much algae in my tanks, so I'm kind of at a loss on how to do this.

I'm not concerned with the algae spreading when I put the decoration in my tank, From what I know on my tanks, it's just going to die off, I don't have the lighting or the CO2 for plants, or even algae to work for very long.

I know because I internet searched, People are all looking to get rid of algae, not grow it, so information is really limited.I'd leave the light on, but that's not gonna help. I'd let the nitrates go, but that's not gonna help either, I've had OTS, algae still doesn't grow no matter how high the nitrites get. As it stands I have my light on from 5:30am to 1pm, then off until 7pm, and run it until 9pm, no algae.

Can i take some tank water and some algae from the pool if it's growing furry over there? Weird thing. my pool, I can't keep from getting green. the tanks, I can't get green to save my life!

Ghelfaire

I would place your decoration in water with an airstone by a window. You won't be able to guarantee what type of algae grows on it but it should be covered eventually.

KingOscar

A skull with algae hair, I like where this is "headed". ;) Just in time for Halloween too!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Ssnaaiil
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Dennis57
  • HamSnacks
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Laxin10
  • bored411