Algae everywhere!

1. N

NikkiHill0509 Valued Member Member

I have a 29 gallon tank with 2 goldfish right now. It also has an Anubis and 2 moss balls. Sometime this month the goldfish will move to the pond and I'll get tropicals. I'm planning on having albino corys, rummynose tetras, and an angelfish.

Right now I'm dealing with a bunch of algae that keeps coming back. I do a water change when my nitrate gets high. Usually once a week I change 6-8 gallons. Ammonia and nitrite are always 0. The lights are on for 4 hours, twice a day. I'll scrub the tank and get all the algae off for it to come right back in a week. It's all over my Anubis plant also. My Anubis has a long stem straight up with what looks like a small rhizome on it. I think it is trying to grow a new plant.

How do I control this algae? Will doing a couple large water changes and a blackout for a week of two starve it off? When I get the corys, will they help control some of it?

I'll post pics of the algae and Anubis plant when I get home tonight.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of algae? If it's diatoms, it's common in newer setups and should go away in time. You can also get nerite snails and amano shrimp to help combat the diatoms.

Corys aren't algae eaters so I wouldn't depend on them to take care of it for you. They are carnivores and need a meaty diet so I would make sure to give them food like shrimp pellets, catfish wafers/stick and frozen or live foods.

3. MongooseALaMode

MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

I would say get 5 or 6 amano shrimp. I have 8 and I never have alge issues

4. Ihaveacactus

Ihaveacactus Valued Member Member

My snails (nerites and mystery) devour any algae that grows in my tanks. Diatoms, the "dirty" brown algae-looking growth, will go away after a while on their own. The snails and shrimp help a little with that, but won't eliminate it. I find shrimp less helpful when it comes to algae, but still great to have for plant debris and picking up and fish food I missed.

Be sure to vacuum well with your eater changes too, if you aren't already. I used to do water changes but still got lots of plant and leftover food build up which caused algae blooms.

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Not finding the root of the problem will only make things worse. Getting fish/snails/shrimp to take care of it will only give you immediate relief and won't do anything if its recurring. If its truly due to an "imbalance" it will only get worse.

What are your exact water parameters? Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate?
    PH?

What color is the algae and do you know what kind it is? Since there are several different kinds that can possibly invade your tank, the best way is to find out what it is and then go from there.

How long is your photoperiod and when did you first start noticing it?

6. OP
    OP
    N

Algae has come and gone for a while. It's not a new system. Been running over a year with a fish less cycle before I put he goldfish in. I'll do a water test and post pics when I get home. Last water change was Saturday. Test before the water change was at 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 25 nitrate, pH 7.2.

Algae is green and brown. Lights are on a timer. They're on 4 hours, off 8, on 4, off 8.

7. OP
    OP
    N

I'm not getting the fish to fix the algae. Just wondering if they'll enjoy a little snack of it. Hopefully it'll be gone before I get the tropicals.

8. A

Angelo0719 New Member Member

9. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member