Algae Eating Shrimp

1. mantaray5 Initiate Member

I have a 6.6 gallon potted tank with three algae eating shrimp and a betta. It produces algae and sometimes the betta drops betta flakes, but I just want to make sure they're eating enough. They shed about once a month, but the betta has been getting better at getting all its flakes so I just want to make sure the algae is enough.

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!:;hi2

You could supplement there diet with small pieces of algae wafers if you don't think that's enough.You could put some slices if zucchini and they will snack on that.

Good luck.

3. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

What species are these "algae eating shrimp"? It's crucial to know what species you're stocking together from a compatibility viewpoint, and also if these are amano shrimp, which I presume they are, 3 of them plus a betta is soon going to cramp that small tank.

4. mantaray5 Initiate Member

Their name was listed as Japanese Algae Eating Shrimp and so far, they are thriving in their tank. I just want to make sure.

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

yup those are ammano shrimp. I would recommend the occasional chunk of wafer if the tank has no algae and has not for quite some time.

6. Everlust Initiate Member

I have read about those shrimps , basically it will can just survive on algae that the tank has. But if you are scared , add somemore live plants like java moss and adequate lightning for the plants to grow some algae for your shrimps. I hoped that helped , cus im a newbie too :\

7. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

My amanos love zucchni, algea wafers and shrimp. Pellets( the pellets they steal from the corys).