Algae Eating Fish For 15g

Kody Grieve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
so i have an aquascaped 15g with a piece of snakewood root in it.

when i bought it the lady said that a fungus/algae will grow on it but it's not bad for your fish/aquarium in any way. i currently have a school of 5 copper harlequin rasboras and i plan on getting a small school of pygmy cories. i was going to top that off with a betta as a centerpiece fish but i was wondering if i could maybe add an algae eater to control the fungus/algae as its quite noticeable. was also going to plant the snakewood root with java moss.

don't really want to add snails, its a possibility but would rather add a couple of otos or something.

i do water changes every week and the tank is well maintained.

all advice and suggestions are welcomed

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A mystery snail will take care of the growth in a week, or you can remove it, scrub it down, and boil it for quicker results. New wood grows a fungus like substance, but a 15 gallon is too small for any algae eating fish that will actually eat it.

Sergeant Pepper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree with the above. Your best bet is Nerite snails for algae in a 15 gallon tank. Nothing else is suitable in that tank size.
I would also like to mention, that while Bettas in a community tank may work for some, you will want to have a backup plan for that Betta. Bettas are generally kept alone because of their potential murder sides. They can be very aggressive, or even stress out in a community setting. So have a backup plan incase things go south.

Kody Grieve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
varmint said:
In your situation I would recommend Amano shrimps. They can definitely take care of algae. Just a thought.
in nz i cant get shrimp, it was definitely something i wanted to get but couldnt. and i know pygmy cories dont eat algae. i just thought they would be a good addition.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom