Algae eaters

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am going to be setting up a 30 gallon aquarium this weekend. So, while it is cycling, I wanted to think about stocking options. I want an algae eater, but I want a pretty one! I have had Ottos, but I saw this zebra pleco online-- can't find one to buy anywhere. I want to have some mollies, and dwarf gouramis, (maybe guppies instead of mollies-- not sure) I don't really want anything too big, so I will probably be getting an otto-- but any suggestions welcome

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why not a bristlenose pleco? They only grow to about 5-6" and do a good job of cleaning the glass.
Tom

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How about a Siamese Flying Fox?

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Zebra plecos can be found if you are willing to pay $$$ for them. They have some on aquabid right now for a couple hundred dollars. There are so many plecos that are affordable and just as pretty. Go to www.planetcatfish.com and see what is out there, then check with your local clubs and your lfs to see if the ones you like are available. Your lfs may also be able to special order one for you!

Guzalot

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Tom said:
Why not a bristlenose pleco? They only grow to about 5-6" and do a good job of cleaning the glass.
Tom
I second this. My Bristlenose has kept my 29 gallon tank algae free for almost a full year now.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gunnie said:
Zebra plecos can be found if you are willing to pay $$$ for them.  They have some on aquabid right now for a couple hundred dollars.  There are so many plecos that are affordable and just as pretty.  Go to www.planetcatfish.com and see what is out there, then check with your local clubs and your lfs to see if the ones you like are available.  Your lfs may also be able to special order one for you!   
Yeah-- Zebras are beautiful, but I only paid $100 for the tank and stand together, I cant afford to put a $200-$300 fish in it. ;D Ha ha. but I would like to if I could.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom