Algae eaters

danielsnod12

I have a 40 gallon tank that is now starting to produce some green and brown algae, I’m wanting an algae eater to help control it but not completely wipe it out. What would be a good algae eater? I have a pitcus catfish so please keep that in mind because I don’t want him to eat the algae eater. Also I wanna stay clear of plecos, I’ve never had any luck with them. Thank you
I’ve had it set up awhile now and algae is starting to get bad, I’ve finally got a schedule to turn in the light and now I believe I’ve got the algae some what under control, I was thinking of adding 4 nerite snails to to the tank to hope keep the gravel and decor clear of algae and maybe to help control it in the future, is this too many snails and any tips in keep them?

Mazeus

1. Otos- But these can be tricky to keep.
2. Nerite snails- effective algae eater, but does leave small white eggs on surfaces of the aquarium

I've never kept pitcus cats, but given their size I think they may attack shrimp? If I'm wrong about that, then go for amanos.

Upvote 0

Unknown9182

I have 2 pictus cats with a Bristle nose and a few otos and they all get along. I’d go with a Bristle nose pleco, easiest kind of pleco to keep.

Upvote 0

Maryellen

My nerites keep my tanks super clean!! they’re great if you don’t mind their little white eggs.

Upvote 0

danielsnod12

I have 2 pictus cats with a Bristle nose and a few otos and they all get along. I’d go with a Bristle nose pleco, easiest kind of pleco to keep.
I’ve tried a bristle nose a few years back and I never could get it to eat much or eat algae wafers, so I’ve never wanted to try again with one, but you said you have Otis with your pitcus? How many? I’ve always done good with them but was scared the pitcus may try to make a snack out of them

Upvote 0

MacZ

Try first changing things like lights or nutrients in the water, before you add animals, that are most often not worth the trouble (especially Otos... not worth the stress)

Upvote 0

ForceTen

You may like the suggestions above as to the best choice for algae eating fish.
But do not expect any algae eater to keep the algae in check.
Only you can control the algae.

Upvote 0

Unknown9182

I’ve tried a bristle nose a few years back and I never could get it to eat much or eat algae wafers, so I’ve never wanted to try again with one, but you said you have Otis with your pitcus? How many? I’ve always done good with them but was scared the pitcus may try to make a snack out of them
I have 3, used to have 7 but 4 of them died from unknown reasons which is why otos are hard to keep, the 3 i have left i have had over 2 months. It takes time for bristle nose to accept food you can try to get a zucchini or cucumber (boil it in water) clean it and then feed it and they will love it.

Upvote 0

Dennis57

SAE or Nerite Snails do a great job.

Any idea where the algae came from?
Are you leaving the lights on to long?
Is the tank getting to much sun from a window?

I would first find the problem, then you can add a SAE and some Nerite Snails, to do a clean up.

Upvote 0

MonsterGar

No, thats not too many at all. They don't breed in freshwater. If anything, you don't have enough.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I'd suggest starting with just one. They can eat a surprising amount of algae, so you may not need more, especially since you said " I believe I’ve got the algae some what under control ".

Upvote 0

Mustangjenni

Thank you!! She insists on doing as much for the fish as she is able, and it’s become a large part of our day everyday, watching the fish. It’s been amazing watching the whole tank environment come together. It’s been fun trying to get plants in the tank that the Rainbow fish won’t eat- they like to munch on most plants! But I finally have a good spread of plants that are thriving.

I do love snails and am amazed at how much algae they can eat. My mystery snail saved my tank. Love that thing!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Myself, i would maybe do 3-4 snails at first then put the others in a different tank of mine. Do not know if that is an option, though.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• elisa001
  • Algae
Replies
Views
elisa001
  • Question
  • tayloroni93
  • Algae
Replies
Views