20 Gallon Tank Algae eaters

Tristen

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tank with 5 neon tetras and 3 ember tetras and 5 corydoras. The tetras numbers are small due to a disease that killed many of them. These are the ones that survived and have been alive for months now after the disease. I have 8 néons that are doing well in qt soon to be added. I originally had 6 otos in there too but 5 of them have died without showing signs of being unhealthy and I have a feeling the last one will too. I have had a really hard time keeping otos alive in the past and need a good algae eater for the 20 gallon because the algae never stops growing. Does anyone have any suggestions that will be compatible with the fish I already have. I plan on having between 10-15 of the two kinds of tetras as well as about 6-8 corydoras. Any suggestions as to what algae eater I could add.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with david, a nerite snail is a perfect option and rather hardy. If you have too much algae, you may want to consider adjusting your lighting schedule.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nerite snails eat algae and do a pretty good job, they are kinda the one fits all algae eater since I'm pretty sure they eat brown algae green dot algae hair algae....etc

OP
Tristen

Tristen

Reaction score
david1978 said:
Nerite snails are great algae eaters.
How many do you recommend for a 20 gallon long with te fish I listed.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You would probablt only need 2 or 3. There are many varients of nerites.

OP
Tristen

Tristen

Reaction score
david1978 said:
You would probablt only need 2 or 3. There are many varients of nerites.
What should I do with the otos that live. I found out I had 2 instead of 1 left shortly after posting this. I put a new piece of driftwood in and the little guy was hiding under it. People recommend you keep them in groups of 6+ but if these two survive I’m not sure what to do.

New Threads