algae eaters

JMatt1983

Reaction score
just wondering what the best algae eater for my tank would be, wheather it be a snail or cory or whatever, any help would be great

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Very good algae eaters are Bristlenose Catfish and Siamese Flying Foxes (the true ones). However, I'm afraid a 10 gallon tank is much too small for them. A good alternative would be a few Otos (if a tank is not overstocked). As for Cories, I'm sorry I don't know much about them - but many others on Fish Lore surely do

Do you have any algae in your tank? Because even if you do, that is not enough for any algae eater. Their diets need to be supplemented with algae tabs or wafers and other foods for algae eaters. My Gold Algae Eater, for example, even eats brine shrimp.

Manicivy

Reaction score
I would recommend otos definetely, I don't think cories actually eat all that much algae. I had an algae bloom a few months ago when I had cories and it didnt go away until I got my oto so I think that is your best bet (if you can find them, hard to come by at least by me...)

Stradius011

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cories don't eat much algae (algae wafer but not real algae.) They eat leftover foods in night. I agree with Isabella and Manicivy with otos and bristlenose plecos and Flying Foxes except only otos would fit in a 10 gallon tank.

OP
JMatt1983

JMatt1983

Reaction score
thanks for all your inputs, and thankfully I have a really good fish warehouse that stocks about 200 different kinds of fish fresh and salt water 10 minutes down the road from me, I think I'll go and check to see what they have available

New Threads