Algae Eaters

Lorraine.Kelly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So its with a heavy heart that i am rehoming my Pleco
I know its the right thing to do for him and i was being selfish and deluded to think otherwise.
So now i have 190 litres and after tomorrow no algae eater.
Im looking for a voracious algae eater with a smallish bioload unlike the pleco who is full of it haha
any advice appreciated
thanks

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
What is the other stock in the tank?
What kind of algae do you have?

Why don't you resolve the reason behind the algae rather than trying to find a fish to eat it?

Many fish only eat specific types of algae and some algae isn't eaten by any fish. Nearly all algae eaters need to be fed a specific diet and algae munching is just an added benefit of keeping them.

I'd be happy to help you identify and reduce algae in your tank without purchasing a fish to do so if you're interested.

Lorraine.Kelly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I dont have any algae in my tank but i have noticed a bit of brown forming,new tank so im thinking Diatoms.Its cycled.
I was just thinking to get some small cleaners to keep it clean.
I have two Honey Gouramis
4 wcmm
1 betta
My wcmm i have about four years,it was a shoal of 13 in an indoor pond with goldfish but over the years they have fizzled out to 4 so i am not replacing them,the pleco was also in the pond.
My gouramis and betta are no hassle to each other they sleep in the same cave and are generally chilled out.
The minnows and Betta were in a 30litre tank together i moved them into the bigger tank which i am currently trying to stock with other fish without loosing any of my current stock,except the pleco he is too big for the 190 litre tank,he is going to a big big tank.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Amano shrimp are larger, so they should be safe from your fish and they absolutely loooooove diatoms. After that's all picked clean they will eat leftovers from your fish and love an occasional vegi snack of cucumber, squash, zucchini, kale, spinach or a variety of shrimp specific leaves and foods.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Lorraine.Kelly said:
No. They eat dying plant leaves and algae and biofilm off of plants. If you have some of the more fragile carpet plants you want the carpet to be well started and firmly rooted before adding them as they can pull up some of the more fragile ones if they aren't established but they do not eat healthy plants.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom