algae eaters?

1. fallemnier Initiate Member

I have a 8 gallon heavily planted tank with 4 serpae's and, Im getting alot of brown algae. any ideas on what i can add to eat the algae. I was thinking nirite snails, but i would rather have something a little more exciting than snails... will shrimp eat brown algae and the various plant parts laying around? I have been cleaning but there just always seems to be more lol. rather then throw the stuff away id rather get something that would enjoy it!

2. TmacD Member Member

I currently have a 29g with some brown algae issues. I also have 5 ghost shrimp in there. I can tell you although the shrimp do eat excess food and other waste in the tank they don't eat algae. I would suggest a bristlenose pleco. They don't get all that big, but I'm not sure if your tank can handle the extra bio load they will produce.

3. Shine Well Known Member Member

Generally the minimum sized tank suggested for a bristlenose pleco is 20 Gallons. I'd go with a couple nerites, or possibly red cherry shrimp. Though to be honest what you are describing sounds like diatoms which are common in new tanks and will go away in time. Extra water changes can speed up the process though

4. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Ottos

I asked the same question about 4 days ago on the Forum. The general conscensus that I got was that ottos 4-8 of them would be per tank depending on the size. If you are not familiar with look them up on the internet. They are very small. They have almost stripped my aquarium bare of algae already. They are so custe too.:;pirate

5. Paintcraze Member Member

This tank is not large enough to add any more fish.

6. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

You are probably right with 4 serpaes in an 8 gallon he doesn't really have room to put in too much more.

7. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

In my personal opinion an 8 gallon tank is too small to keep even 4 Serpaes in and it would be more suited as a Betta tank but that is my opinion. Serpae Tetra are somewhat a schooling fish and should be kept in schools of at least 6 to 8 to help keep down the aggression. Serpaes are known to be quite aggressive in small groups and in small spaces so I would personally advise against getting any other type of fish for the 8 gallon tank. You might be able to get away with adding one or two more Serpae if you’re willing to do frequent water changes of at three per week but I would personally suggest an upgrade to a lager tank.

If the brown growth is a powdery looking growth on just about everything in the tank it is more than likely Diatoms. They are a very common brown growth in new tanks and will normally go away on their own as the tank ages and you do your tank maintenance. I would also take a look at how much you are feeding. Over feeding can promote diatoms and algae growth. Try cutting the mount you feed in half for a few weeks to see if that helps speed up the process diatom removal.

8. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Ammano Shrimp, aka Japanese algae shrimp, are the best for algae, I'm not sure how one would fare in a tank that small with the serpes, I know I have 3 (adding more possibly) in my 75 with rainbows and serpes but they have plants to hide in when needed.

Honestly I think the nerite would be great in that tank, and you can get some really cool looking ones, personally I would go after a horned zebra nerite as I think they look fun. They do a FANTASTIC job at cleaning tanks and will not reproduce in fresh water.

9. blu3dragon619 Member Member

shrimps are the best way to go or a mix of both... snails and shrimp, i have a planted tank and algae bust to and the shrimps did take care of my algae problems... just make sure that there is no fish that would eat them... i say go pick up some ghost shrimps at a LFS or but some cherry red shrimps which are also cheap and good money for the buck...

10. fallemnier Initiate Member

yea i was getting worried about the bio load too. i think ill just get the nirite snails atleast they have some cool looking shell patterns now. I know i need a bigger tank but i need a bigger home first :p My serpaes were a bit aggrezive towards each other but now that i have the plants they do school up a little bit atleast! thanks for the input guys!

11. striker Member Member

You can try adding a otocinclus but if the tank is newly established then I would just suggest to do some extra water changes (10%-15% water changes). I would put 1 nerite snail and that should take care of the algae.

12. ploopy Member Member

I have nerites in all my tanks and they do wonders.