Algae eaters for soft and acidic water

Vivo

I need algae eaters in my 33 gal hex tall tank. I have 4 black kuhli loaches as bottom feeders and since it is a tall tank there isn't a lot of substrate surface area. My water is soft and slightly acidic. As far as I can tell snails are out because of lack of calcium. Even shrimp need calcium. Is there any feeders who eat algae off glass and ornaments who can thrive in this environment?

Mertgezer

What do you mean by soft/acidic ? What are your parameters?

Vivo

pH 6.6-6.8 and KH 2 degrees and GH 35

Mertgezer

Due to you ph/kh it seems to be planted tank but you can have snails.

MacZ

I'd try to find out what factors exactly are causing the algae, before getting algae eaters. Also, the acidity is ok for many snails like bladder snails, only nerites might have problems, though I could keep nerites successfully in a pH of 6.0, GH 7 and KH 4.

Disclaimers: 1. A tank without algae is biologically dead, so some are a. normal and b. not to prevent by any means. 2. The only dependable algae removal is by hand. 3. algae eating animals add to the bioload and may actually give the algae more nutrients. 4. If you should decide to add algae eaters, stick to invertebrates like snails or shrimp. Fish are either not dependable or (like Otos) bring more problems to the tank than there were before.

Now the usual questions:
- What are your Nitrogen levels? Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.
- How long are the lights on each day?
- How many live plants do you have in the tank? (picture would be best)
- What kind of algae do you have? (picture, please.)
- Do you use any fertilizers?

Vivo

I don't have any problems in my tank. I'm 3 months into the hobby and I was just trying to round out my stocking. Algae is not a problem, I just assumed every tank had algae build up on ornaments, etc. I kind of like the look of snails. Unfortunately I had two hitchhiker bladder snails and the general consensus was, "get rid of them as they'll over run your tank." So, I did... I wish I hadn't though. Oh well. Thanks for all your input and help. When I research the parameters of snails and what not; they tend to like harder water.

Is there a calcium fortified food I can feed that fish won't eat? Also, I do put Seachem Flourish as a fert. Does that add nutrients?

MacZ

A tank doesn't have to have algae eaters. So it's your choice at that point.As I said you won't really need to add much calcium but if you choose to a cuttlefish bone might be your solution.
Flourish is a fertilizer, it will add nutrients for the plants. Keep an eye on the nitrate levels.

Vivo

Thanks! Do you know if Flourish will fertilize house plants in the tank like Pothos? Do you have a recommendation on better fert's for aquarium plants? I have trouble keeping any of them alive, even java fern and anubias nana, but definitely and floating plants.

MacZ

It will, though I use pothos to keep any nitrate levels as low as possible. Sorry I have no recommendations. A. I don't use fertilizers at all and b. I live one continent over. We have totally different brands. I only know what's in flourish cause I looked it up. But the ingredients are pretty standard.

Vivo

Thanks!

Top Bottom