Algae Eaters For Planted Tank?

cl1015

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I’ve recently discovered that my driftwood is collecting a good amount of soft algae on it. I’ve considered trying to clean it myself, but I also want to add in more fish/animals to my 20 gal long besides my cories already in there. I’ve done some looking around for algae-eaters and I’m enjoying the thought of getting four or five nerite snails or amano shrimp, but I’ve also heard that copper isn’t good for either of them, and I use pellets and plant nutrient that have copper sulfate in it. Does anybody have recommendations for what animal I could get for my tank to help with algae cleaning?

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nerites are great...and trace amounts of copper is fine, in fact most shrimp/snail pellets have copper too. I dose both of my tanks weekly with flourish (contains copper)....all is well

cl1015

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
WTFish? said:
Nerites are great...and trace amounts of copper is fine, in fact most shrimp/snail pellets have copper too. I dose both of my tanks weekly with flourish (contains copper)....all is well
Thank you for letting me know!! Glad it isn't as big of an issue as I thought, I'll go buy myself a band of them this Friday

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thunder_o_b said:
I am a fan of ottos. 6 or more in each aquarium we have.
I have had one otto for several months and finally got the opportunity to get him some friends, so I'm now up to 4. They're fun to watch when they decide to zoom around, and they do the best job on my glass for sure, other than my snails.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PatientStars said:
I have had one otto for several months and finally got the opportunity to get him some friends, so I'm now up to 4. They're fun to watch when they decide to zoom around, and they do the best job on my glass for sure, other than my snails.
I have a great, big soft spot in my heart for them

Wrestling with a mystery snail over an algae wafer From a school of 6 in the 44 pent.
_MG_8047-Edit.0.jpg

cl1015

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thunder_o_b said:
I am a fan of ottos. 6 or more in each aquarium we have.
Ottos seem like a good choice too! They’re so cute!!! Are they relatively easy to care for or are they a little more fragile than cories? Also this is sort of off topic, but the store I planned on getting snails from only has mystery snails, and I’ve read that they sometimes will eat plants in a tank or won’t eat any algae at all. I’ve also read that nerites tend to be pickier with food and I wouldn’t want them to starve if they ate all the algae in my tank, if they won’t eat any algae wafers. Would it be safe to buy one or two mystery snails or should I go look for nerites at another store?

PatientStars

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
cl1015 said:
Ottos seem like a good choice too! They’re so cute!!! Are they relatively easy to care for or are they a little more fragile than cories? Also this is sort of off topic, but the store I planned on getting snails from only has mystery snails, and I’ve read that they sometimes will eat plants in a tank or won’t eat any algae at all. I’ve also read that nerites tend to be pickier with food and I wouldn’t want them to starve if they ate all the algae in my tank, if they won’t eat any algae wafers. Would it be safe to buy one or two mystery snails or should I go look for nerites at another store?
I read online that Ottos were tough, but mine haven't had any problems at all, and my first one (who was solo until recently) went through a battle with Ich and didn't seem at all bothered. As long as your tank is established and you don't have any massive fluctuations in your parameters, they'll be fine.

And I have 5 mysteries, too. They will eat algae, but definitely can't keep up with it on their own. As a team with ottos or corys, though, they are helpful. Mine leave all the live plants alone except for java moss and Duckwort (which they feasted on like it was their personal buffet!). They sometimes munch on dead plant parts, which is actually nice, but I mostly see them scraping algae off the glass and decorations.

cl1015

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PatientStars said:
I read online that Ottos were tough, but mine haven't had any problems at all, and my first one (who was solo until recently) went through a battle with Ich and didn't seem at all bothered. As long as your tank is established and you don't have any massive fluctuations in your parameters, they'll be fine.

And I have 5 mysteries, too. They will eat algae, but definitely can't keep up with it on their own. As a team with ottos or corys, though, they are helpful. Mine leave all the live plants alone except for java moss and Duckwort (which they feasted on like it was their personal buffet!). They sometimes munch on dead plant parts, which is actually nice, but I mostly see them scraping algae off the glass and decorations.
Sorry for the late response! Think I might get a mystery snail then, mostly bc the nerite snail egg chaos sort of scares me (I've had a nerite before and it gave me absolutely no problems, but I'm not pushing my luck this time with 3 haha). Mystery snails are very entertaining too so I'm excited to get one of my own, thanks so much!

BaraYoukai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
cl1015 said:
Sorry for the late response! Think I might get a mystery snail then, mostly bc the nerite snail egg chaos sort of scares me (I've had a nerite before and it gave me absolutely no problems, but I'm not pushing my luck this time with 3 haha). Mystery snails are very entertaining too so I'm excited to get one of my own, thanks so much!
I have ivory mystery snails and they are so cute!!! They grow really fast and it's pretty fun to watch them book it. You wouldn't think they could be as fast as they are. They do a decent job cleaning but I still have to spot check them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom