Algae Eaters are Catfish???

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why don't algae eaters get their own section? Also, I notice there is a sub-section for Chinese algae eaters but I have nowhere to talk about my Siamese. Should there be an "other" category somewhere?

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You are correct: Chinese algae eaters are not cats. They're cyprinids, like the Siamese algae eater. I'm sure Mike will get that changed when he sees this.

The sections we have are based on usage. We have a CAE section because they're (sadly) a fairly common aquarium fish. Therefore, it's something that's talked about quite a bit.
For fish that are less common, the most appropriate place to post is the most specific sub-forum you can find. In the case of Siamese algae eaters, the current place to post would be in the "Cyprinid" section.
If I had a Loricariidae that wasn't a pleco (and I do want one), the place for me to post about it would be in the "Catfish" section.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
THanks, not complaining, just trying to figure out where my guys fit is all.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We have a CAE section because they're (sadly) a fairly common aquarium fish.
Why do you say sadly? I've had one for about four years and he's the sweetest thing. In fact, I just bought two more little ones.

potatos

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They are not the best algae eaters and have a tendency to munch on the slime coat of flat bodied fish like discus and angle fish. Their name is misleading, and they do not preform the function that most people buy them for

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They can also grow to be about 10" and are often put in too small of a tank.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes, sadly the Chinese Algae Eater - because of it's small size when it is young - is often kept in inadequate conditions. This usually causes them to become aggressive and can lead to many many problems. If kept correctly, they can be wonderful fish. I, too, love mine.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What Potatos, Lucy, and Gremlin said.
It' not that they're bad fish, it's just that they're difficult to properly home, and Petsmart and Petco don't help things in dispensing info about them.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, My Siamese and my mollies do most of the algae work. My CAEs just hang from the filter pipe or glass, otherwise they hide. Hopefully bu the time Louie is 10" long I'll have a much bigger tank. He's only half that size now.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Make sure you give him at least three places to hide and plenty of meaty foods. I use a sinking bottom feeder tablet designed for cories.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He has to fight off about fifteen other fish to get to the wafers. He'll be fine. He's been fine for a long time.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
SFwriter said:
He has to fight off about fifteen other fish to get to the wafers. He'll be fine. He's been fine for a long time.
I'm glad to hear it. You'll have to put some pictures of him up.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aww. he's still tiny!

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If he gets too big I'll dump him in your pond.

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any time. I love my little torpedo... Mine was a "normal" colored cae when I got him/her. Now he is all yellow. Sometimes he will get a patch of green scales. Don't know if he will this year or not.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads