Algae eaters and algae

Walter B

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 2 large Siamese Algae Eaters (sold to me as Flying Foxes), 4 Sucker Catfish and 1 Oto all put in the tank with the idea that they should eat algae. Well, they do a little bit but I still grow more algae than they eat. What kind of algae? Some green and brown on the glass, some hair mostly on the Ludwigia plants and some slimy stuff also on the Ludwigia (but not on other plants) and on the top cover and inlet pipe. It's not a big problem (the water is clear). I am starting to cycle the light and see if it will reduce algae growth. My question really is with so many algae eaters why do they not eat more? Do they like fish food better than algae?

30 Gallon tank
2x24W Power GLO lights
other fish in the tank:
1 Angel Koi
2 Bolivian Rams
3 Clown Loaches
5 Red Minor Serpae Tetras
5 Red Nosed Tetras
7 Scissor Tails
2 Panda Cory's
( I know it's a bit much but they all seem to be happy....)

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Same here on all 3 of my Siamese Algae Eaters, sold to me as flying foxes, LOL.

They have done a good job on the gravel, but not so good on the glass (and they seem more interested in fish flakes then algae). I interduced snails to my community and now I almost never have to clean my glass.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not all types of algae are eaten by fish & certain fish only eat certain types of algae. Yes algae eaters often prefer to eat fish food to algae.

It would be best to work out the cause of the algae rather than try to have a heap of algae eaters to control it.

How long are your lights on for? What are the water parameters? Do you use fertilizers & co2? If yes what sort of co2 system do you use (diy, compressed gas) & how much of what sort of fertilizer are you using?

I'm betting poor water quality might have alot to do with the algae seeing as the tank is drastically over stocked.

EDIT: Those ClownLoaches will have to go eventually. They get to about 10" & need at least a 75gal tank for 3 of them. Keep an eye on the Tetras to make sure they don't start nipping at your Angel.

Walter B

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I had the lights on for 12 hrs. I am now trying with 4hrs ( 8 am) on, 4hrs off and again 4 hrs on and see what happens. I agree the algae is a result of some inbalance, probably low CO2. (water parameters Nitrite 0, Nitrate about 20). No CO2 system and no fertilizrs but a weekly dose of Nutrafin Plant Gro.
Again, its not that there is a lot of algae, just more than the algae eaters can or are willing to eat and I have to go in and clean the glass from time to time. The gravel is clean however.
I think the 4 small "sucker catfish" (that's what the fish shop called them) are Oto's too - not Pleco's

PS: The (small) Tetras are happy chasing each other and are leaving the (big) Angelfish alone. Yes, I know, he too should be in a larger tank.... The clown loaches are about 3" and seem now to grow very slowly if at all. I would like a larger tank if I can figure out a way to manage the water changes....but that is another forum question.

Walter B

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is a follow up on my last post. The light sequencing proved to be very effective. Algae growth is much reduced all around on the glass and on plants. Plant growth has slows a bit too however.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom