Algae eater with male Betta ?

HOWsMom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are there any algae eaters I can put in a 5-gallon or 6-gallon tank with a male Betta ?

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello! I have cory cats and a snail in each of my male betta 5gal tanks. Really it depends on that bettas personality if you can keep anything with them.

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In that small of a tank, I'd really only recommend an olive (or zebra) nerite snail. That size tank is really too small for oto cats, Chinese or Siamese algae eaters, or any type of pleco, and a betta will make a quick snack out of amano or red cherry shrimp.

dacrax07

Reaction score
For algae eater, I recommend cherry shrimp or amano shrimp, depending on your bettas personality. Usually, they get along well, especially if there are plenty of hiding places.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your tank were a little larger like a 10 gal there would be no problem with putting some type of pleco in there with it (if you go with the varieties that stay rather small) but since you have a smaller tank I would reccoment some type of shrimp. To be honest I work at a petstore and I know the only freshwater shrimp that we ALWAYS have are ghost shrimp and they keep the tank VERY clean and they are only like 89cents each.

Watch out if you're going with a snail many (maybe most I can't remember) can multiply on their own and you will end up with THOUSANDS of snails, your tank will be clean, but who really wants a thousand snails in their little 5 gal?

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
e_watson09 said:
Watch out if you're going with a snail many (maybe most I can't remember) can multiply on their own and you will end up with THOUSANDS of snails, your tank will be clean, but who really wants a thousand snails in their little 5 gal?
I believe you're thinking of pond snails, which are generally regarded as pests by everyone. They are asexual, so they don't need a mate to reproduce. Mystery snails, apple snails, and nerite snails require a mate to reproduce, so if you only have one, you won't have any unwanted babies.

rae64

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A pleco in a 10 gallon is not a good idea, just to note (I know the OP does not have a 10 gallon) Some people get away with corys, but IMO snails are much better suited for bettas.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bassbonediva said:
I believe you're thinking of pond snails, which are generally regarded as pests by everyone. They are asexual, so they don't need a mate to reproduce. Mystery snails, apple snails, and nerite snails require a mate to reproduce, so if you only have one, you won't have any unwanted babies.
Oh I bought a snail that was listed as "mystery snail" and I got it and then a few months later had THOUSANDS of babies. But maybe it was just a mistake.

rae64 said:
A pleco in a 10 gallon is not a good idea, just to note (I know the OP does not have a 10 gallon) Some people get away with corys, but IMO snails are much better suited for bettas.
Some pleco breeds stay small and get a max of 3" and those variety are fine in a 10 gal.

rae64

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would still be cautious with the plecos though... what breeds stay that little?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
e_watson09 said:
Some pleco breeds stay small and get a max of 3" and those variety are fine in a 10 gal.
I respectfully disagree. IMO-the smaller plecos shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than a 20 gallon. They produce a lot of waste.

HOWsMom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
So far, I'm avoiding getting anything. I'll likely get a snail in the long run.

Etcetera

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The whole need for a "helper fish" is really just hype. You don't need a helper fish to eat algae/detritus--since all they do is turn that algae/detritus into large amounts of unsightly poop.

The tank in question is not ideal for cories, since they should live in schools of 6 or more, not ideal for otos since it is not mature and they prefer to be in groups of 3 or more, and not ideal for any type of pleco because of the size and the amount of waste they produce.

Some people say shrimp are good with bettas--but I have had tons of shrimp and many bettas over the years, some of these bettas have tolerated other fish and ADFs and the like--but never has any kind of shrimp lasted more than a couple months with my bettas. They always get eaten eventually.

Snails are really your best bet if you want something that can effectively clean the algae off the glass and your plants. If you control the amount of light and the amount of food you put in your tank, the population will not explode. Each of my tanks has malaysian trumpet snails and each one has one large ramshorn snail which does most of the cleaning. I've tried adding more ramshorns to the tank, but when I do, one always out-competes the other for food and the other dies. Population control really isn't an issue.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have to agree. Snails are usually the best option. I would just get one though for a 5gal mainly if it is a mystery snail....I have one the size of a half dollar. So they get pretty big and loveable lol.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
try a bristle-nose catfish i have one in with my fighter at the moment and they are fine together. They are in a 5 gallen tank the moment and the catfish will eventually get to about 15cm but that will take over 5 years for him to get that big. I wouldnt recommend snails.

mishykinz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was thinking about getting some snails for my divided betta tank. Should I just get 1 snail or a snail for each divided part?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
rae64 said:
I would still be cautious with the plecos though... what breeds stay that little?
Umm for sure a Rubber pleco, then some type a bristlenose or something that we have at work, then also a clown pleco (not a loach a actual pleco) But those are just the ones we keep in stock

bolivianbaby said:
I respectfully disagree. IMO-the smaller plecos shouldn't be kept in anything smaller than a 20 gallon. They produce a lot of waste.
I agree that it would require a lot of cleaning due to the waste but I was just stating that it is an option. I didn't know exactly how much space they needed I just knew they stayed small.

HOWsMom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snails are really sounding like a good plan here !

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Emily1234 said:
try a bristle-nose catfish i have one in with my fighter at the moment and they are fine together. They are in a 5 gallen tank the moment and the catfish will eventually get to about 15cm but that will take over 5 years for him to get that big. I wouldnt recommend snails.
True but not every betta would let something likethat in thier tank. It still all boils down to personality. And im only suggest one snail. But if you get more you'll have to manage your food.

McAttack

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
rae64 said:
I have a female bristlenose pleco and she's MAYBE 3". A year old. very shy.

HOWsMom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I took the chance - and Wan Bo Bo has been content living with a couple of ghost shrimp and a yellow snail for a while now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom