Algae Eater Stocking Question For 150g Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Angolangrl, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Angolangrl

AngolangrlValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    I have a 150g planted tank. I had introduced clown loaches to the community but they developed ick and it decimated my community and now I need to re-stock my community. I will need an algae eater and like the Bristle nose pleco or possibly the hillstream loach but understand there may be a temperature incompatibility with the angles. I am/was leaning towards the BN pleco. Will these algea eaters be compatible with my community? Are they hardy? What are there common aliments (i.e, prone to ick, etc?)? Or should I select a different type of algae eater?
    anglefish 2
    glow tetras 5
    rummy nose tetras 15
    red-tailed shark (planned to buy/add in future)

2. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,532
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    BN are good for nearly all tropical community tanks so long as the tank is large enough, which shouldn't be an issue in your case. The only problem I've ever had with a BN was it getting ich shortly after bringing one home. Luckily he was fine and still lives to this day. Just make sure you feed them their own foods, don't expect any pleco to eat only what they can find left over. Blanched veggies are always appreciated by them.

There are loads of different color forms out there and long finned varieties of most colors. I suggest you look into some of the more "fancy" kinds before settling for the average color and fin type.

3. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,263
    Experience:
    Just started
    Clown Plecos (Panaqolus maccus) are great as another option. Mine keeps the tank clean of algae. Having wood in the tank is mandatory, as they’re specifically wood-eating plecos.

4. OP
    OP
    Angolangrl

Ratings:
    +8
    I like the long finned gold BN. But am waiting for it to come back in stock at my local store and was waiting until there was more algae in the tank before purchasing. I understand that they may displace the sand and plants. Is that an issue? How many should I get? I am so worry about Ich, until recently with the clown loaches I had I havent had an issue with ich in years and I lost my favorite (and oldest) shark. Thus this time around I really want to know what are the common aliments. Do you know if ICH is a common issue with the BN or just an 1st time transfer issue? Should I put the new fish in a temporary tank first for a week before transferring it to my main tank or...?

I hear that the clown pleco doesn't eat alot of algae and eats plants. Is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2018
  5. scarface

Ratings:
    +7,263
    Experience:
    Just started
    I can’t say for all Clowns, but mine leaves the plants alone.

Ever since I put her in last year, the tank walls have been clear of algae. She even keeps the filter outtake clean, which used to be covered in velvety green hair algae.

For a 150g, you could add a mix of Clown and BN plecos. That’s what i would do anyway, because I like them both.

6. OP
    OP
    Angolangrl

Ratings:
    +8
    I will research the clown plecos. What does it mean that they are wood eating. Do they actually eat wood significantly, enough to impact the size of the driftwood?

7. scarface

Ratings:
    +7,263
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yes, they’re primarily wood eaters. Even if you don’t feed anything else, you’ll see lots of poop from rasping on wood. However, they’re small, so it will take a while to notice. I actually am not sure I see a difference on the size of my driftwood, but I only have a single one.

If you bought something big, like a Royal Pleco, then probably yes.