Algae Eater/snails To Help Get Rid Of Algae That Go With Cichlids? Question

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Sierra s., Apr 14, 2018.

1. S

Sierra s. New Member Member

What can I put with my neolamprologis Bichardi and neolamprologis Multi to help get rid of algae
    Ii have a 20 gallon that alwats seems to have algae on it. I do not have sunlight on it just the regular lights and I clean the tank every other week but the algea grow so fast I need something to help keep it slowed down.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Your arms, and hands are the best reliable source of removing algae!

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

We can help you figure out what's causing your algae too, and that can help you fix it.

How long do you leave the lights on? Does the tank get sunlight?

4. MissRuthless

MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Tank size, inhabitants, light schedule, feeding schedule and cleaning schedule - these are the things we need to know to solve your algae problem. Adding fish to your tank to clean it is never a good idea - it is YOUR job to clean the tank, and any fish you add will add to the bioload, make more waste for you to clean and more nutrients to feed the algae you're trying to get rid of.

Nerite snails are good glass cleaners and can help with excess food on the bottom, but they can't do your job for you. Once you get the proper balance of light and nutrients though, you'll have little or no algae to worry about, so let us know about the questions I just asked and we'll figure it out. :)

5. LZAWADZKI

LZAWADZKI New Member Member

Never get snails!!!!!! At least not mystery snails! Mine are pom bridg which are supposed to eat algae and leave plants alone but mine are little brats!!! They kept breeding so I got rid of all but one, and somehow she still reproduced!!! So now I’m having to start the cycle all over. NEVER get snails unless you just want a snail tank and are willing to use chemicals to remove algae. They’re picky. GET BN PLECOS. They’re small and super hardy, maxing out at 6 inches, and they grow really slow and keep the tank SPOTLESS. They have little whiskers that can be bitten off but if you’re worried about that get a female. Mine is a male named Vlad and he has a nice long mustache because he’s so tough the cichlids just leave him be. I have an African tank.

6. LZAWADZKI

LZAWADZKI New Member Member

Also I would argue that while you do have to account for the plecos waste as well in your bioload, Bristle/Bushy nose plecos are very clean for plecos and you will never have to manually scrape algae if you have one. Do take into account though that you’ll have to feed a bit extra so your plec can eat

7. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Yeahhhh, but Mystery/Apple snails ARE huge pigs...and they're huge as well lol...BN may get picked on by Cihclids though, unless it's like a smaller Krib or something! Try some Excel if you don't want a ton of algae...and tone down the light as well.

8. TexasDomer

Mystery snails are not good algae eaters at all. Nerites are the best, and they will not breed in FW tanks, so you don't need to worry about population control.

I would not add a BN pleco to a 20 gal tank, especially one already having shellies in it.

9. SFGiantsGuy

Nope, they're certainly not lol I was merely stating that they're huge pigs is all! And they ARE! Yeah my 30 gal. has a LOT of Nerites now! Like...16 large ones!

10. TexasDomer

I wasn't addressing your post when I replied :)

11. SFGiantsGuy

Sorry, my sincerest apologies sir. Heading out now to pick up a 5 lb. CO2 tank lol...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice