Algae Eater For My Betta Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Kamaile, Apr 19, 2018.

1. KamaileValued MemberMember

Ive just set up my 20G long thats been sitting empty for some time and plan to put one of my spunkiest crowntails in it after the cycle (he's in a 6 gallon right now, and I think he'd appreciate the space most out of all the bettas I could put in).

I would like to eventually put some plants in with him (I was thinking elodea and/or Java Fern but I'm open to suggestions) in which case I will have light on the tank. I'm wondering if there are any creatures I could put in there that will be compatible with my betta, will create minimal waste, will not eat my plants, and will keep algae growth under control. Ideas?

2. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

If your betta is a bit more mellow, you could do otocinclus cats. Cute little algae eaters that your betta should ignore as long as its mellow. You should probably get 2 or 3 though

3. KamaileValued MemberMember

Do otocinclus catfish school? Would I need substrate? I forgot to mention that I prefer barebottomed tanks for ease of maintenance. I know that lots of catfish like to sift through substrate, but since these are suckermouths maybe they don't?

4. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

They do school, so you need at least 6 of them in a school, but they don't have a large bioload so they should be fine in a 20 gallon with your betta. While they probably de appreciate some gravel do get more algae off of, they don't seem to have any problem with no substrate, and in some cases could be a little better due to the lower risk of cutting their mouths. They are also kind of delicate and will need some extra care acclimating to the tank.

5. Milliemae124Valued MemberMember

A group of Pygmy corydoras would look nice in a planted tank. :)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  6. tum0rValued MemberMember

Nerite/mystery snails? Probably less so the mystery snails because they produce a fair amount of bioload, but the nerite would do nicely.

7. KamaileValued MemberMember

I agree, but I'm hoping to stay away from substrate in this tank and don't think they'd be happy at the temperature this tank is or without substrate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice