Algae Eater For My 20g Long Betta Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Kamaile, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Kamaile

KamaileValued MemberMember

Ive just set up my 20G long thats been sitting empty for some time and plan to put one of my spunkiest crowntails in it after the cycle (he's in a 6 gallon right now, and I think he'd appreciate the space most out of all the bettas I could put in).

I would like to eventually put some plants in with him (I was thinking elodea and/or Java Fern but I'm open to suggestions) in which case I will have light on the tank. I'm wondering if there are any creatures I could put in there that will be compatible with my betta, will create minimal waste, will not eat my plants, and will keep algae growth under control.

Ideas?

2. Bry

BryWell Known MemberMember

I have a Tiger Nerite Snail in with my Betta and I've never seen a speck of algae. Also, they have pretty shells lol.

3. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus TankFishlore VIPMember

Any nerite would work out.

Do not buy it so it will eat just algae. Supplement the nerite’s diet with blanched veggies and algae discs.

4. CloudTheFluffy

CloudTheFluffyValued MemberMember

The only things I can think of is oto cats but you would really need a good build up amid algae and really for the tank to be be moderately planted for that to work.
    Besides that only other thing I can think of is a bn pleco but those are poop machines. Though if it was just him and the betta it wouldn’t be too much of an issue. Maybe someone else has more ideas.

Edit: completely forgot snails sorry

5. OP
    OP
    Kamaile

Do you think I could just supplement the oto cat diet so I don't need to have an algae buildup? They wouldn't eat my plants, would they? I'm kind of leaning away from a pleco because I want my betta tank to look somewhat clean between water changes.

6. 75g Discus Tank

Otos aren’t temp compatible so I wouldn’t recommend them.

7. Bry

BryWell Known MemberMember

I have snails in all of my tanks. I love them :)

8. OP
    OP
    Kamaile

Do they produce much waste? What would the best veggies be? I already feed a pleco, could I use the same veggies for both?

9. 75g Discus Tank

Nerites don’t poop too much. Their favorite veggie IME is a slice of blanched zuchinni.

10. OP
    OP
    Kamaile

What types of snails would you recommend?

11. OP
    OP
    Kamaile

Note taken, thank you. I guess I won't add otos. It's looking like snails are my best bet. I thought I had heard of shrimp that can do the job, too, but I may have been dreaming.

12. OP
    OP
    Kamaile

Awesome, that's what I feed my pleco most often!

13. 75g Discus Tank

Amano shrimp can do the job, but they don’t do as well as nerites IMO,

14. OP
    OP
    Kamaile

Does anyone have recommendations for where to get healthy nerite snails? I don't want to order through my LFS; they seem to get aquatic animals sick way too often.

15. 75g Discus Tank

Try Aquabid. They have a lot of auctions. Look for somebody with high customer review ratings.

16. OP
    OP
    Kamaile

Awesome, thank you. Do you think I should just get one? I guess we may not know much about snail happiness, but would it be adviseable to get 2 or 3?

17. 75g Discus Tank

I would get more than 1. In my 20 long, I collect different types of nerites so I have 6.

Probably 2-4 would be good though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice