Algae Eater For Goldfish Tank

kalishrimp

Reaction score
I have a 100 gallon tank for my comet (common? maybe) goldfish, and since it gets partial sunlight, it's like a massive breeding ground for algae on the glass. Not a huge deal, but annoying. I've heard not many algae eaters get along with goldfish, but are there none at all? It would have plenty of room to grow and thrive, and there's a huge piece of driftwood should it need the extra supplements, along with o2 aeration.

Snails are a no-go. This guy likes to suck them right out of their shells (last time I measured him he was 11 or 12 inches long, and hes kinda fat lol). Pics attached since no one ever believes me that I have such a massive nugget of a goldfish...

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The main issue is temperature compatibility. There aren't really any cold water plecos I'm aware of but some species can tolerate cooler water down to the mid to lower 70s. Try looking into cooler water plecos and see if there is anything you like.

Skavatar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
that's a nice looking comet. mine are 7" tip to tip.

not just temp, but plecos like to eat the slime coat off goldfish. their slime coat is high in protein.

you could try a dark background. I took a long piece of cardboard from a box and sprayed it with flat black spray pain $1 per can at Homedepot or Lowes. cut some waves on the top.

i also have a bag of Purigen in 1 filter. no problems with algae. its an East facing window with the blinds open 24/7.

full.jpg

kalishrimp

Reaction score
that's a nice looking comet. mine are 7" tip to tip.

not just temp, but plecos like to eat the slime coat off goldfish. their slime coat is high in protein.

you could try a dark background. I took a long piece of cardboard from a box and sprayed it with flat black spray pain $1 per can at Homedepot or Lowes. cut some waves on the top.

i also have a bag of Purigen in 1 filter. no problems with algae. its an East facing window with the blinds open 24/7.

full.jpg
Very nice setup! I like the live plants. I actually have a dark backdrop and a Fluval306 Filtration System. It's a little hefty, but it's the only one I've tried so far that can keep up with goldfish waste. I somehow have less of an algae problem in my community tank, which is heated and doesn't have as good of a filter. Oh well...I might just be doomed to deal with the algae on my own lol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom