Algae eater for Betta tank

1. connorMV Member Member

Hi everyone,

I have a male Betta in a 30L (ish) Biorb.

Have to pick out algae every week. So was thinking about getting a fish to do that for me.

Any ideas anyone?

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You don't have room in that tank for any algae eating fish, but nerite snails will work.

It'd also be a good idea to figure out the cause of the algae so you can correct it, rather than adding fish/snails to clean it up - that's a bandaid.

How long do you leave your light on over the tank? Does it get any sunlight?

3. connorMV Member Member

Thought as much.
    It gets some sun light, probably direct for a couple of hours a day. I leave the light on for around 8-10 hours

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

That's likely your issue. To start, I'd either try to cut out the sunlight (move the tank, cover the side facing the sun, etc.) or lower the light to 4-6 hours.

5. connorMV Member Member

The algae isn't a huge issue tbh. It's short string like pieces coming out of the filter. But thank you, moving the tank isn't really an option so I'll use the lights less. Not really needed anyway!

6. Annie424 Well Known Member Member

Nerite snails would be a nice backup while you are figuring out exactly how long to leave the lights on, and they would get to work on what's in the tank right away while you are experimenting. :) Plus, they are just cool to watch! When they are on the glass, you can really see their mouths working - I find it's fascinating.

7. connorMV Member Member

I want one for my main tank anyway, so I'll have to pick up a couple!