Algae Eater for a 55 gallon tank

1. Jan Member Member

Boy do I need an Algae Eater! I have 3 balas, 3 swordtails and a redtail. Could anyone tell me what algae eater would be the most compatible for my tank? Thank you

2. Marc Well Known Member Member

I'd find a pleco! Not a common pleco, as they get to be up to 30", but one of the permanently smaller varieties. :)

Either that or get a school of otoclinus catfish.

3. Jan Member Member

Thank you for your reply.  I read somewhere that catfish are not algae eaters.  As for the Pleco, I have read that they like lots of plants and driftwood which I have neither.  I don't want to put too much gravel in the tank and all of the plants require this don't they?

Also my fear is with my redtail as I have read that they can become aggresive with other bottom dwellers.... maybe I read too much!

What about a Siamese Algae Eater would they be ok with my redtail?

4. vin Well Known Member Member

5. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

well if you decided to get a mini pleco -- (which i highly recommend - i have an emporer pleco that only gets 5 MAYBe 6 inches long, and he does a wonderful job on algae) they are pretty much ignored by any fish, because they don't move around a lot and they don't really establish territory, so other fish are not constantly fighting them them for space. They kind of just move out of the way of other fish and get to work ;)

6. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

first of all not all your fish are compatible the balas can get a little over a foot each second i dont think they will get along with the rtbs dont quote me on this but they are aggresive fish and the swordtails are peaceful

on the aglae eater topic your best bet would be a bristlenose pleco as the get 6-8 inches and are cheap

7. Jon Well Known Member Member

lol sry marc but common plecos do not get 30" long

commons get to 18 inches and should be fine in a 55 gallon.

If you dont have many plants or driftwood ottos would be good and you are partially right... catfish do eat algae but not all catfish... Cories and the unfortunately misnamed Chinese Algae Eaters do not eat algae... there are also many other that you would think eat algae but dont...

Here are some renowned algae eaters:
    Pleco's
    Otto's
    Amano Shrimp
    Siamese Algae Eater

Good luck i would reccomend a pleco or 4-5 otto's

8. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

IMO, (and maybe it is different for some others) but I wouldn't recommend a common pleco for a 55 gallon tank. They may be able to survive in a 55 but definately wouldn't be able to thrive. I would recommend at least 80 gallons for this fish.

9. Jan Member Member

I am extremely lucky then as all of my fish get along great.    My redtail pretty much stays in his cave the balas and the swords pretty much stay out of each others way.  I know that the balas will get too big for my tank but they are such beautiful fish I have a friend who also loves balas and has a tank large enough to house them so I will give them to him when they outgrow my tank.

I was hoping to avoid the Pleco's as they are not my favourite fish.

[ Quote **If you dont have many plants or driftwood ottos would be good and you are partially right... catfish do eat algae but not all catfish... Cories and the unfortunately misnamed Chinese Algae Eaters do not eat algae... there are also many other that you would think eat algae but dont... **Quote]

I also read somewhere that mollies eat algae have you heard this?  I am thinking that the Otto is for me, do you know how they will be with the redtail?   Are they easy to find?

10. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I can't readily find ottos at my LFS ( they get shipments in often, but go as fast as they come)

Yet other people seem to have no problem finding them

I guess it depends?

Good Luck :)

11. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

easy to find around me and Jon siasmese algae eaters are hard to find in the U.S. i bielieve

you could get a nice school of otos Jan i would suggest freeze dried tubiflex worms and algae wafers as a suplement and some veggies get maybe 7-8 otos

no you are not lucky your fish get along my fish got along for a few months but then my rtbs stating being mean once he was big enought and i got rid of him

12. Jon Well Known Member Member

Siamese algae eaters are hard to find in the u.s. i was just throwing out some good algae eaters... as you see i did not reccomend them merely said that they do there job well.

13. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

well what country do you live in

did you just say you threw out algae eaters :eek:

14. Marc Well Known Member Member

There are several online pet stores which sell SAE for pretty cheap - and if you buy enough fish it's often worth the ~$30 shipping/handling fees.

15. Jon Well Known Member Member

hmm i didnt look for them online cool marc.

16. Jan Member Member

I live in Canada and very rarely does anything get shipped here to us unless it is from Canada. I figured that the siamese algae eaters would be hard to find. Atmmachine816 you said to get 7-8 Ottos is this because they need to be in that large of schools or is it necessary to keep the tank free of algae?

17. Jan Member Member

Sorry I am new at this what is rtbs (I am assuming it is the redtail) but I just wanted to check to make sure. My redtail is about 3 inches I think the maximum they get is 6 inches. I have had him for about 6 months now and I have not had any problems.... now you have me scared as I really like my redtail and it would break my heart to have to give him up.

18. Jon Well Known Member Member

red tailed black shark if im not mistaken...

you dont need 7-8 ottos unless you want that many... they need to be in small schools but 4-5 will suffice because they are very efficient at theif jobs...

if you get more than 4-5 you will definately need to feed them algae wafers and such.

19. Jan Member Member

Thanks Jon for the info on rtbs...... :)

Nww this may sound redundant but why do you say 4-5, can I not just get one in the beginning just in case there is a problem with the redtail?

20. Jon Well Known Member Member

what do you mean by a problem? are you thinking the shark will be agressive towards the ottos? if this is the case it is imperative to have a small school to make them feel more assured... if you are thinking the ottos will be agressive toward the shark then im not sure what you would do... could you more specifically describe your concern plz?