Algae Eater For A 2.5

1. Nicoldeme Member Member

I have a 2.5, cycled and stable, with a betta and I was wondering if there were any types of algae eater that would do well? Snails? Some type of tiny fish? The tank is heated, filtered, and will be heavily planted, as soon as I can get to the store. Any ideas?

2. PaulieWoz Member Member

Depends on the algae type, but I would suggest either a nerite snail or amano shrimp because of the tank size.

The beta might go after the shrimp, it all depends on its personality.

3. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Snails would be your best bet!

4. Nicoldeme Member Member

Yeah, I've tried shrimp before in my ten gallon, and none of my fish bothered them, but the shrimp died anyways. They were ghosties, and while they werre nice to look at none of them lasted for more than a week. I suppose shrimp just aren't my thing, and I'm going to wait until I have more experience before I get more.
    Also, are there snails that won't climb out of the tank? There's relatively large holes in the lid, so snails can easily escape.
    I don't mind feeding snails if they need it, as long as they keep the glass clean, I'm happy :)

5. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

The reason why your shrimp died was because they were cheap and not taken care of before you got them. They are only 49 cents for a reason:(. But I have 20 of them that are still alive!!! :)

6. Nicoldeme Member Member

The shrimp were from Petco, so you're probably right about their former care. I may order some online in a few months.
    Are there any snails that will stay in the tank, though? I'm looking at nerites, but people say they climb out. Is there a snail that won't outgrow a 10 gallon? Could I keep one in my 2.5, and when it gets too big keep it in my 10? I need an algae eater for my larger tank as well, because I'm rehoming my pleco due to his size.

7. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

mystery snails would be good! they get a little big, but its worth it ;)

8. Nicoldeme Member Member

Would they climb out of a lidless tank? and how many could I fit in a ten gallon?

9. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Nope, they will just go to the top of the water to breath air. And 3-5 would be good.

10. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I think mystery snails would be a bit too big for your 2.5g. They don't really care too much for algae either. Also, your betta might find their antennae and flesh parts tempting to peck at because they're more exposed. If you're going to add a snail to this tank, I would add a couple of horned nerites that stay small (pea-sized).

You could add a couple of mystery snails and/or nerite snails to your 10g. But again, nerite snails are better at eating algae.

And any snail can climb out of the tank, more so if your water parameters are less than ideal.

11. Lchi87 Well Known Member Member

Another vote for a nerite snail. I just got one myself few days ago and he/she has already consumed an uncomfortable amount of algae lol.

12. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

+1 for nerites

13. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

He asked for the 10gal if some mysteries would be okay.

14. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

She asked about keeping snails in a 2.5 as well (post 6).

15. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

True, but she was wondering how many she could put in a 10gal.

16. fishnewbie33 Well Known Member Member

If you're keeping a betta, I would recommend a cover for the tank. Bettas can jump.

As far as algae, if you have the correct environment (tank not near a window, lighting on about 8 hrs/day, etc.), you shouldn't have an algae problem.

Did you have a lot of algae growth in your other tank? What were the lighting/water parameters?

17. Nicoldeme Member Member

I wouldn't know how much algae growth I have in my ten, my little pleco consumes it all x3 I keep my lights on WAY too long, I know, but I'm up late and tanks are a good nightlight until I'm ready to sleep. Generally, my tank lights are turned on at 9am and turned off at 11pm or 12am, about 15-16 hours. Geez, now that I think about it, that's horribly long. My fish have never complained (Trust me, they tell me when they're unhappy), and it gives my pleco a bit more to munch on.
    My ten is right next to a window, but due to extreme heat, it's usually closed and shuttered. Only in the winter does the tank get sunlight, but it's always indirect.
    I don't know exactly how powerful my light is, but I do know it's LED in both tanks. As for water parameters, Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrates- under 5 pH-8.2 in both tanks. They share the same water source and get water changes on the same days.
    So whether or not a snail would climb out is just a gamble? Dang, well, I guess I'll just grab a few nerites then? Do I have to feed them algae wafers or vegetables? I don't mind if I do, I have a whole bag of algae wafers. :)

18. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

If they are by the sunlight, then i would do 12 hours because direct sun is very bad. it can cause a burn on their skin and more.

19. Nicoldeme Member Member

All the sunlight they get is indirect :)

20. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If neither tank is planted, there's really no reason to keep the lights on for that long. I wouldn't have them on for more than 8 hrs.

I don't really feed my nerites though they will occasionally eat a raw veggie I leave in the tank for my mystery snails. The nerites are usually busy munching on algae and bio-film on the glass, plants and decor.