50 Gallon Tank Algae eater fish

flcracker

Reaction score
I am setting up a 50 gallon fresh water tank with 22 2" fish what is a good algae eater for the tank

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn't add one until it's well established and you have algae for it to eat. Bristle nose plecos are good too.

Galactica555

Reaction score
Personallu my tanks focus is more the algae eaters thsn anything(love the cuties,even if i gotta feed them often cuz thry eat so much haha) so i have experience with their behavior. Currently have khulis,shrimp,and nerites. Khulis don't eat quite as much as you would think . I would say sincr you got a larger tank get a dozen or so shrimp and a handful of snails(you pick) shrimp are avid eaters on plants and the ground whule snails will also help out on walls. I'm not expert! Just my opinion. Maybe a pair of small plecos instead of shrimp if you wish

WetRootsNH

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Though not specifically fish, I have always found the best livestock for cleaning up algae is Homoscrapeins (did not count on the scientific genus for humans being censored. I mean, I get it but it's still kind of silly considering at least some of the hobby ought to be science friendly). The related species, H. Aquachangus works great as well. They are both pretty easy to care for. Most are omnivores though some individuals have more specialized diets. They are mostly diurnal. Also, they can be kept as individuals or in a school. Though at the moment there is something going on with their populations and it is probably best to keep them in a school smaller than 6 individuals and give each single individual about 6 feet of space. Hopefully that will change in the future.
Get fish you want to keep because you like them. You'll do a way better job at cleaning than any fish ever will. If the fish you like happen to be algae eaters than that's fine but don't keep ones you don't like just because they could help just a wee bit with maintenance.

OP
F

flcracker

Reaction score
Thank You all for your response. You all have good advice and help me a lot

New Threads