Algae/ diatoms after water changes

fisheez

Fully cycled setup. Hello I've been having some issues in my tank where every time I do a 50% water change there seems to be diatoms throughout on the ornaments and glass after a few days. Tank ammonia levels are 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates around 20. I usually vacuum the tank every time I do a 50% water change which is done once a week on 120 gallon. It's easy enough to clean off but a pain to take ornaments out every week. I use regular tap water and only have a fluval 306 and 2 sponge filters. Any other information I can add to help lmk.

NevermindIgnoreMe

fisheez said:
Fully cycled setup. Hello I've been having some issues in my tank where every time I do a 50% water change there seems to be diatoms throughout on the ornaments and glass after a few days. Tank ammonia levels are 0 nitrites 0 and nitrates around 20. I usually vacuum the tank every time I do a 50% water change which is done once a week on 120 gallon. It's easy enough to clean off but a pain to take ornaments out every week. I use regular tap water and only have a fluval 306 and 2 sponge filters. Any other information I can add to help lmk.
How long has the tank been running? New setups often have diatoms at the beginning, but eventually it stops coming. I had a ton of diatom in my tank after I added some more sand because of the silicates it added to the water. I bought some ramshorn snails, I no longer have any diatom. You can get some for cheap from here or ebay, the come in lots of colors.

fisheez

NevermindIgnoreMe said:
How long has the tank been running? New setups often have diatoms at the beginning, but eventually it stops coming. I had a ton of diatom in my tank after I added some more sand because of the silicates it added to the water. I bought some ramshorn snails, I no longer have any diatom. You can get some for cheap from here or ebay, the come in lots of colors.
Over a year

NevermindIgnoreMe

fisheez said:
Over a year
Mine was a few months over a year when I added the sand and got the diatom explosion. You haven't...added any sand or anything right lol? I still would just get some snails. They are great little cleanup crews!

The2dCour

fisheez said:
Does it happen if you do a smaller water change?

fisheez

The2dCour

fisheez said:
I'll have to try that I suppose
Only reason I asked is because you say you get this explosion right after the water change? That's a pretty significant water change, so maybe making it smaller would introduce less of whatever is causing the population boom and it wont take hold.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom