Algae/Diatom Problem, Advice Appreciated!

Akio

See pictures for reference.

I've been having algae/diatom problems for almost 3 weeks now (tank is about 2 months old). Tank is as far as I'm aware fully cycled. Planted at a medium level. I'm pretty sure I'm having problems with multiple types too:
Diatoms on the front glass, brown spots. Brown areas on substrate and carpet too.
Brown hair growing on moss (see left tree) and other plants (mainly java fern).
Green algae on the back glass.
Originally I had my lights on way too long (12 hours), brought it down in the past week and the last 3 days its been at 8.5 hours. Algae has still been increasing since decrease in light.
I read silica is a cause of diatoms. I currently don't have a way of testing this but I wouldn't think it would be from my tap water (tap water is extremely soft).

Size: 55G
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
PH: 6.4
GH: 4 (boosted with Seachem Equilibrium)
KH: 0
Temp: 24C
Pressurized CO2 with solenoid.

20200328_193857.jpg

trahana

Silicates are often in the substrate, and they will finish leaching out eventually. For the glass you can clean it off. Even fully cycled you can get diatoms occasionally when you switch lights or fertilizers. The diatoms will come back, eat silicates and then die. The amount of silicates in the water column determines how long they stay.
as for fuzzy brown, that’s not diatoms.

and what fertilizers are you dosing? Looks lightly planted probably doesn’t need much.

Akio

Silicates are often in the substrate, and they will finish leaching out eventually. For the glass you can clean it off. Even fully cycled you can get diatoms occasionally when you switch lights or fertilizers. The diatoms will come back, eat silicates and then die. The amount of silicates in the water column determines how long they stay.
as for fuzzy brown, that’s not diatoms.

and what fertilizers are you dosing? Looks lightly planted probably doesn’t need much.

Substrate is Tropica Aquarium Soil Powder. Fertilizer is Seachem Flourish. I dose 1 cap once a week (instructions recommend this for my tank size). Is the fuzzy brown actual algae then?

Desi

If you like snails nerites are great little algae eaters and IMO they're really cute and fun to watch. Just an idea.

Akio

If you like snails nerites are great little algae eaters and IMO they're really cute and fun to watch. Just an idea.
I've considered snails, but I just don't think I'd like the aesthetics. Personal preference.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Danito
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Danito
  • Mark2621
  • Algae
Replies
Views
MacZ