Question Algae cycle?

Minoul

Reaction score
I have a 20 gal with like 6 raspbora (baby numbers unclear) a few shrimp and a hob and sponge filter along with various bunches of java and Christmas moss, when the tank was first cycled (fishless) I saw no algae, about a month in brown algae, and about another month from that green algae, does a tank go through an “algae cycle?” Haven’t found much info on this except for blooms during the cycling process (which I never had). Is green the final stage? Fish and shrimp especially seem very happy and breeding so not a problem for me but interested to learn more.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No, ot doesn't have a cycle really. What i think happemed with you is the brown algae is actually diatoms, and they kinda go away on their own after the silica in the water is used up, but can return after water changes that more back to the tank. The green algae was probably there all along with the brown covering it so it gave the illusion of multiple steps or a cycle.

OP
Minoul

Minoul

Reaction score
huh interesting! Is there anything against letting algae grow out? I have a ton on my glass but my shrimp just seem to enjoy it so I haven’t really worried about disturbing it too much. Seems to attract the occasional detritus worm too which the raspboras happily snack on
MrBryan723 said:
No, ot doesn't have a cycle really. What i think happemed with you is the brown algae is actually diatoms, and they kinda go away on their own after the silica in the water is used up, but can return after water changes that more back to the tank. The green algae was probably there all along with the brown covering it so it gave the illusion of multiple steps or a cycle.

lojack

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Minoul said:
huh interesting! Is there anything against letting algae grow out? I have a ton on my glass but my shrimp just seem to enjoy it so I haven’t really worried about disturbing it too much. Seems to attract the occasional detritus worm too which the raspboras happily snack on
Some people don't like the look so that's really the only negative. It could also theoretically keep a plant from photosynthesizing if it's covered.

I tried for a year to grow some green algae on a decoration in my old 50 gallon because I thought it would look cool. I was only successful at brown diatoms, haha. In my new tank with different lighting I can see some green scattered around on the statue so maybe I'll luck out finally. :nailbiting:

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This is my opinion on it lol.
The issues that can arise are mostly related to large die offs fouling your water. It's pretty sensitive to certian treatments so it would be something to take into consideration if you ever have to treat sick fish. If you have a decently planted tank, that becomes pretty negligible tho.

Attachments

OP
Minoul

Minoul

Reaction score
aww I don’t care so much about the looks just if my fish are happy!! Honestly couldn’t tell you how I grew it all, I have lots of natural light?
lojack said:
Some people don't like the look so that's really the only negative. It could also theoretically keep a plant from photosynthesizing if it's covered.

I tried for a year to grow some green algae on a decoration in my old 50 gallon because I thought it would look cool. I was only successful at brown diatoms, haha. In my new tank with different lighting I can see some green scattered around on the statue so maybe I'll luck out finally. :nailbiting:

OP
Minoul

Minoul

Reaction score
just about how mine looks haha. I’ve just got a *bunch* of moss!
MrBryan723 said:
This is my opinion on it lol.
The issues that can arise are mostly related to large die offs fouling your water. It's pretty sensitive to certian treatments so it would be something to take into consideration if you ever have to treat sick fish. If you have a decently planted tank, that becomes pretty negligible tho.

lojack

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Minoul said:
just about how mine looks haha. I’ve just got a *bunch* of moss!
In my old tank it didn't really bother me and I liked how natural it was when it covered the back glass. I was content with how nicely it filled in until I found out my wife wasn't a fan. Ended up scrubbing/scraping it all off... I only wish I had found out before I let it totally fill in, haha.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I put my tank here by a south facing window exclusively for the light/algae growth. Now that my plants are recovering from being transplanted they haven't had any algae on them, and i like the "rustic" look from it growing on the driftwood and clay. Plus i have a whole army of assorted tiny crustaceans to feed.

MrBryan723

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lojack said:
In my old tank it didn't really bother me and I liked how natural it was when it covered the back glass. I was content with how nicely it filled in until I found out my wife wasn't a fan. Ended up scrubbing/scraping it all off... I only wish I had found out before I let it totally fill in, haha.
See, the way around this whole "wife" issue is you tell her the fish need it so they can have cute babies.(it does help if the fish actually do manage to have cute babies). Ymmv.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom