Algae Control Help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Jodi, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Jodi

Jodi Valued Member Member

Okay so I have a single betta in a 37 gallon cycled tank. I’ve had him for almost 2 months. I’ve noticed green algae spreading on the heater, the filter sponge, his spongebob house, and now his gravel! I’m a beginner so i’m not really sure what to do. I’ve been scrubbing the algae off with an aquarium brush but otherwise I don’t know what to do. Is it harmful to him? Is this natural?

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

It's not harmful, and it's completely natural.

You might try reducing the amount of time the lights are on to about 8 hours. If you'd like some live plants, you could get something like anacharis, duckweed, or hornwort to outcompete the algae for nutrients.

What're your water parameters? High nitrate and phosphate can also contribute to algae problems.

3. OP
    OP
    Jodi

I’m doing a water change at the moment so I’ll get the parameters after that. I’m not gonna lie I they haven’t been great and I’m not sure why. My tank was completely cycled for a few weeks before i added him, and im not overfeeding him. Im really embarrassed/sad because i feel like a bad pet owner but I’m not sure what to do

4. Ryan P

Ryan P Valued Member Member

Don't feel bad. Algae are good indications that there's life on your water so it's a good sign.
    It's just that nothing else is competing for nutrients on your tank so algae might be growing.
    so like the above post make sure light is on a timer 6-8 hours. and adding some easy plants could benefit you too.

5. OP
    OP
    Jodi

Okay thank you so much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice